Question About a 1976 Game Between the Giants & Jets.

MIKEBENNIDICT

Question About a 1976 Game Between the Giants & Jets.

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

Some here who grew up in the 80's might remember a PBS science show called 321 Contact.

I'm watching an episode were former wide receiver Jim Barkum appeared on the show discussing playing football.

One of the cast asked what kind of weather would stop a football game? He mentioned the 76 game which was stopped because of a haricot.

As ignorant as I may sound by never heard of such a thing and couldn't find anything on the internet.

I didn't wanna type up the episode considering it's a full episode which includes other unrelated stuff and didn't wanna risk the tread going off subject but if you type up the episode on Youtube you should find it.
BD Sullivan

Re: Question About a 1976 Game Between the Giants & Jets.

Post by BD Sullivan »

I'm assuming you're referencing the 8/9/76 Jets-Giants game that was postponed two nights because of Hurricane Belle. Both teams were already looking at a short week, with the Jets hosting the Raiders on 8/13 and the Giants playing in Houston on the 14th.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I believe "haricot" means "bean" in French. At least, I know that "haricots verts" means "green beans."

I'm sure "haricot" in this context is "hurricane," either misspoken or misheard.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Here are some notes about that bizarre circumstance from my research document titled “The NFL’s Most Momentous Off-Season – Ever. A Chronology of the Spring and Summer of 1976”

The Giants-Jets game scheduled for Mon. Aug. 9 at Yankee Stadium was postponed until Wed. Aug. 11, due to Hurricane Belle damaging the grass. The New York Cosmos soccer team was playing at the Stadium on Tuesday, forcing a rescheduling of the Giants-Jets game to Wednesday.

A crowd of 35,000 came out for Wednesday night football to see Giants kicker George Hunt make a 34-yard FG with 16 seconds left for a 16-14 win in a game where Giants QB Craig Morton (19 of 31 for 211 yards, 0 TD, 0 Int) and Jets QB Joe Namath (10 of 24 for 116 yards, two TDs, one Int) played the whole way. Giant RB Larry Csonka (15 rushes for 60 yards) got a standing ovation when introduced to the NY crowd.

After the Wednesday night game, the Jets would also be playing at Yankee Stadium against the Raiders on Friday, Aug. 13 meaning they would play two games within 48 hours.

“I guess you might say it will be like playing a 120-minute game with a long half time,” said Jets coach Lou Holtz.

The Giants would be going to Houston to play Saturday Aug. 14.

Oakland would beat the Jets 41-17 as the two teams combined for 943 yards of offense before a crowd of 10,726 at Yankee Stadium.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

IIRC weren't those games at Yankee Stadium sort of test runs perhaps for bringing the Jets to Yankee Stadium permanently away from Shea, where the Jets were (and would continue to) have issues with?