What are some memorable hold outs and the cause behind them.

Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Re: What are some memorable hold outs and the cause behind t

Post by Mark L. Ford »

vikingsfan1963 wrote:Surprised no one mentioned John Riggins's holdout in 1980 after back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons. I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back. After missing the entire '80 season he went on to rush for around 4,500 yds and score half of his career 104 touchdowns over the next 5 seasons, including a 1239 14 TD season at age 35!
I'm pretty sure that's whom NWebster was referring to in the conversation opener as "Riggo".
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Didn't LIons DT Doug English held out in 1980 and missed all the season, or he was injured?
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Keith Jackson held out on the Dolphins in '95 until a near deadline trade to the Packers in October. He had a good remainder of the '95 season as a Packer and a great '96 Pro Bowl season, retiring after the Super Bowl win.

Would Bo Jackson's refusal to sign with the Bucs after being drafted as the first pick in '86 be considered a holdout? He told them ahead of the draft that he would not play for them, but they did anyway.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Mark L. Ford wrote:
vikingsfan1963 wrote:Surprised no one mentioned John Riggins's holdout in 1980 after back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons. I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back. After missing the entire '80 season he went on to rush for around 4,500 yds and score half of his career 104 touchdowns over the next 5 seasons, including a 1239 14 TD season at age 35!
I'm pretty sure that's whom NWebster was referring to in the conversation opener as "Riggo".
It was, I guess its not Sweetness or The Juice, but always thought that was a commonly known nickname for Riggins.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Ronfitch wrote:Keith Jackson held out on the Dolphins in '95 until a near deadline trade to the Packers in October. He had a good remainder of the '95 season as a Packer and a great '96 Pro Bowl season, retiring after the Super Bowl win.
Jackson actually held out on Green Bay, not Miami. The Dolphins traded him, along with a 4th round pick, to Green Bay on March 29, , in exchange for a 2nd round draft pick. Jackson didn't hold out because of money; he just didn't want to play in Green Bay.