Injuries and bye weeks

RyanChristiansen

Injuries and bye weeks

Post by RyanChristiansen »

The Athletic reports, “the CFL’s decision to limit the number of padded practices and to give each team three byes has helped to reduce injuries across the league.” When I first heard about the CFL including three byes in their long schedule, I thought it was a great idea. Maybe the NFL needs to look at doing this.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Citizen

Re: Injuries and bye weeks

Post by Citizen »

If (when) the NFL goes to an 18-game schedule, more bye weeks will be necessary if they don't want games full of backups. The season will last nine months, but I doubt the league would mind that.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Citizen wrote:If (when) the NFL goes to an 18-game schedule, more bye weeks will be necessary if they don't want games full of backups. The season will last nine months, but I doubt the league would mind that.
When the league was making a big push for 18 games, there was talk about having the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend, which in some cases is only a week after what's currently in place. I'm sure if more $$$ is involved, the NFL will give up their usual reluctance to start the season on Labor Day weekend (or before).
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

In 1993, IIRC, each team two bye weeks. I don't know why it was dropped (TV contracts or the Players' Union?)
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Teo wrote:In 1993, IIRC, each team two bye weeks. I don't know why it was dropped (TV contracts or the Players' Union?)
I think it was because the networks were struggling to have enough notable games to show each week.