Punter/Wide Receiver or Tight End combo

Gary Najman

Punter/Wide Receiver or Tight End combo

Post by Gary Najman »

Reading in the Wonderlic Test topic about Pat McInally inspired me to open this thread. In the mid/late 70s (whn I started watching the NFL as a kid) there were other P/WR-TE players in the NFL like Bob Parsons, Jeff West (who, interestingly like McInally was also drafted by the Bengals in 1975 in the 5th round two spots below and also had a 10-year NFL career) and Terry Joyce. And I know Jackie Smith also was the Cardinals punter in the late 60s (and there were other receivers who punted like Pat Studstill). Why there were back then some players who played both positions?
Rupert Patrick

Re: Punter/Wide Receiver or Tight End combo

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Bill Van Heusen
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Teo wrote:Reading in the Wonderlic Test topic about Pat McInally inspired me to open this thread. In the mid/late 70s (whn I started watching the NFL as a kid) there were other P/WR-TE players in the NFL like Bob Parsons, Jeff West (who, interestingly like McInally was also drafted by the Bengals in 1975 in the 5th round two spots below and also had a 10-year NFL career) and Terry Joyce. And I know Jackie Smith also was the Cardinals punter in the late 60s (and there were other receivers who punted like Pat Studstill). Why there were back then some players who played both positions?
More bodies?

Active game day roster went from 40 (which was the entire roster; no game day in-actives) to 43 (of 47 on the roster) in '75, then to 45 in '78, 49 in '82. In '91, it was reduced to 45 on the game day actives and is now at 46.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Bob Scarpitto, Denver Broncos WR-P
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Max McGee (WR), Boyd Dowler (WR) and Donny Anderson (RB) all punted quite a bit for the Packers in the '60s, with Anderson continuing for one year with the Cards in '72.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
paulksandiego

Post by paulksandiego »

Gary Collins was one of the better combo receiver/punters...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Jim O'Brien and David Ray would fill in a WR, O'Brien more than Ray
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Larry Seiple with the Dolphins
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Pat Richter for Washington in the early-mid 1960's
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Pat Studstill WR/P, Det Lions 1961-67, LA Rams 1968-70, and a curtain call with the Patriots in 1972. He also returned punts and kickoffs. His best season was in 1966 where he caught 67 balls for the Lions including a record 99-yarder which can only be tied!