Hall of Very Good Mention

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

Hall of Very Good Mention

Post by JuggernautJ »

Dan Hanzus mentions the Hall of Very Good in his "Mailbag" article, saying:

Matthew Stafford: Stafford was a sneaky stud last season, reaching a new apex in Year 9. Will that be his career ceiling? Right now, he's a lock for the Hall of Very Good.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... l-audition

What I want to know is, is this guy a member? Does he even get a vote?
The nerve of some people, saying he's a "lock" for the Hall... :D
Rupert Patrick

Re: Hall of Very Good Mention

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Among active QB's, Brady, Brees and Roethlisberger are surely going to Canton. Of the others, I think Eli Manning will probably go in, on the basis of the two Super Bowl rings in NYC and his career stats although I think he is an average to slightly above average QB who is a compiler.

Unless he has an unusual career decline, I would be surprised not to see Aaron Rodgers eventually make it to the Hall of Fame. Phillip Rivers, along with Rodgers, have at least passed the HOVG Bus Test, if you will. I doubt Rivers will make it to Canton unless the Chargers get very, very good in the next couple years and he retires with a couple Lombardi Trophies. In the 2004 Draft trade with the Giants, the Chargers made out quite well in that they got a solid franchise QB who was healthy for 15 plus seasons. The 2004 draft trade with the Giants worked out well for both teams.

Of the others, I would rate Matt Ryan at the top of the list, followed by Joe Flacco. Ryan is a great player who is in the middle of an outstanding career. Flacco has been very successful in Baltimore; during his tenure in Baltimore, the Ravens have only had one losing season and that was the year he was injured and missed six games. Both I expect to wind up in the HOVG at least by the time their careers are thru.

Then we come to Stafford and the younger guys, Newton and Wilson, Alex Smith and Andrew Luck. I would rate them Russell Wilson, Stafford and then Cam Newton, Smith and Luck. None are anywhere near the HOVG at this time, but I think Wilson has the best shot of a great career.

Of current QB's, I guess I have Stafford rated about tenth best in the league by that rationale.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I tend to agree with Rupert - Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Manning, and Rodgers - will all be elected into the HoF. Rivers has work to do, mainly in the playoffs. If he wins a SB, then it helps his case. His stats are great, but I think he needs more.

Matt Ryan looks pretty good right now for HOVG. Joe Flacco has work to do. His numbers are not great and the only major achievement to his name is a SB. No MVPs, All-Pros or Pro Bowls.

Stafford is on track for HOVG. He has many years left and if he can carry Detroit to consistent winning, I think he'll have a good shot.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I don’t see Flacco as being HOVG material. He’s barely HOG, if anything.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

We were discussing the HOVG over the weekend, and how it seems to be (for better or worse) the only thing the football world seems to know about the PFRA. I just wish there was a way to improve our visibility.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Rupert Patrick wrote:We were discussing the HOVG over the weekend, and how it seems to be (for better or worse) the only thing the football world seems to know about the PFRA. I just wish there was a way to improve our visibility.
I hear you. But remember -- the glass is half full, too. :)
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

The only way Aaron Rodgers doesn't get into Canton is if he pulls a Michael Vick. Two-time league MVP, Super Bowl MVP, advanced stats through the roof, threw 13 INTs once, 11 once, every other year less than 10. Perhaps more importantly, the game film backs it up. And I know this isn't supposed to be a criterion, but it's the real world, so it is: comes across as a great, great guy. He's maybe not first ballot based on where he's at today, but he's in.

This will likely be viewed as heresy, but I think Matt Ryan is a bit overrated. To me he's a good QB who had one great season, and benefited enormously from having had a superb supporting cast throughout his career. They really struggled last year after losing Kyle Shanahan, play calling in the Super Bowl notwithstanding. 33 offensive touchdowns on 5800 yards is pretty bad, especially for a team that had nine starters on offense return (and a tenth that was on the roster but not starting the year before).

As for the original question about Stafford, I guess the question to ask is, just how many QBs from this era are going into Guilford? Will there be ten guys currently active in the HoF + HoVG? Fifteen? If there's fifteen, he'll be one of them. But he doesn't look all that special when you compare him to who's ahead of him and who's coming up behind him.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:The only way Aaron Rodgers doesn't get into Canton is if he pulls a Michael Vick. Two-time league MVP, Super Bowl MVP, advanced stats through the roof, threw 13 INTs once, 11 once, every other year less than 10. Perhaps more importantly, the game film backs it up. And I know this isn't supposed to be a criterion, but it's the real world, so it is: comes across as a great, great guy. He's maybe not first ballot based on where he's at today, but he's in.

This will likely be viewed as heresy, but I think Matt Ryan is a bit overrated. To me he's a good QB who had one great season, and benefited enormously from having had a superb supporting cast throughout his career. They really struggled last year after losing Kyle Shanahan, play calling in the Super Bowl notwithstanding. 33 offensive touchdowns on 5800 yards is pretty bad, especially for a team that had nine starters on offense return (and a tenth that was on the roster but not starting the year before).

As for the original question about Stafford, I guess the question to ask is, just how many QBs from this era are going into Guilford? Will there be ten guys currently active in the HoF + HoVG? Fifteen? If there's fifteen, he'll be one of them. But he doesn't look all that special when you compare him to who's ahead of him and who's coming up behind him.
Not Going to disagree with you on matt ryan ive often thought the same
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

rewing84 wrote:
Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:The only way Aaron Rodgers doesn't get into Canton is if he pulls a Michael Vick. Two-time league MVP, Super Bowl MVP, advanced stats through the roof, threw 13 INTs once, 11 once, every other year less than 10. Perhaps more importantly, the game film backs it up. And I know this isn't supposed to be a criterion, but it's the real world, so it is: comes across as a great, great guy. He's maybe not first ballot based on where he's at today, but he's in.

Not Going to disagree with you on matt ryan ive often thought the same
+1