Best Bob Griese performances

74_75_78_79_

Best Bob Griese performances

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Very first one to come to mind is his ’77 Turkey Day Magnus Opus against the Cards (eye glasses and all). A year later in that Classic Monday Nighter at Houston, all historic attention goes to #34’s performance but Griese played a real good game himself. What other great, statistical performances can you think of in his career?

And any comeback victories? Two-minute drills? Like with Troy Aikman, though I’m sure that there are quite a few, no such examples really come to my mind.

And with the he wearing eye glasses - was he the first NFL player allowed to do so? And just how long did the league allow it? Quite surprised it was allowed at all.

Thanks!
JuggernautJ

Re: Best Bob Griese performances

Post by JuggernautJ »

I know there will be some legitimate "great games" with amazing statistics (as above) but to me the "perfect" Bob Griese game was Super Bowl VII.
7 attempts, 6 completes, 73 yards, zero TDs, zero interceptions, 110 rating. Second consecutive championship.

He did exactly what his team needed him to do to bring home the trophy. Perfect.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 130mia.htm
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

And with the he wearing eye glasses - was he the first NFL player allowed to do so?
This was actually a question during the "quiz bowl" at the PFRA convention over the weekend. Yes, he was the first... in 1971.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

The two games mentioned were certainly two of his best. But off the top of my head Griese led the GW drive in the final 2 minutes on the road in Minnesota in Week #3 of the 1972 undefeated season. He went 17 of 23 for 199 yards and a TD in a Monday Nite match up against Namath and the Jets on 10/7/74. Although not prolific I will always remember him coming off the bench and going 8 for 10 for 101 yards and a TD to beat the Patriots on a Thursday night in the showdown for the division title. That one still hurts....
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

’71...thanks, Chris! Good examples given, guys! I forgot about that comeback vs Vikes in ’72. Those two other examples you give, RR (those MNF and TNF affairs vs Jets and Pats), I wasn’t aware of. Very interesting stats you offer for that SB, Jugg. Yes, they had that insane run-game, but you’d think that Griese was too good a QB to be used that sparingly, especially with a weapon like Warfield at his disposal. Then again, would a typical ‘game-manager’ have been able to make those few but crucial plays he was asked to make?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I've always held Griese in high regard, his early career highlights of him running around and making plays are impressive, and Football Digest selected Bob Griese as their Player of the 70's....but this exercise of going back and looking at boxscores for Griese's best games was surprising. There just isn't much to hang your hat on.

There was a game in 1969 where Griese and the underdog Dolphins tied the Raiders 20-20, and the Raiders would end up 12-1-1 on the year. Griese's statline 13-27-160 1 TD 2 INTs. The 1971 playoff against the tough Chiefs...Griese 20-35-263 1 TD 2 INTs. Coming off the bench in the 1972 AFC Championship...3-5-70-0-0. The Dolphins dominated a talented Raiders team in the 1973 AFC Championship, Griese 3-6-34 0 TDs 1 INT. Sea of Hands game the following postseason against the Raiders...7-14-101 1 TD 1 INT.