Terrell Owens skipping HOF induction

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
ChrisBabcock

Terrell Owens skipping HOF induction

Post by ChrisBabcock »

As far as I know this is unprecedented.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... shrinement
JuggernautJ

Re: Terrell Owens skipping HOF induction

Post by JuggernautJ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:As far as I know this is unprecedented.
Well, the article states "The decision to decline the invitation and not attend his own induction ceremony is unprecedented." So, I am guessing you are correct in that.

I find it doubtful that the quotes attributed to Owens were in fact made by him. They certainly don't sound like anything I've heard him say before.
Perhaps his mental faculties have declined and he is not capable of positively participating in his own enshrinement... ?

Anyway, I for one am glad I will not have to listen to his lunacy during the induction ceremonies.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Anyway, I for one am glad I will not have to listen to his lunacy during the induction ceremonies.
Same here. I bet this is a form of pouting because he wasn't first ballot.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

JuggernautJ wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:As far as I know this is unprecedented.
Well, the article states "The decision to decline the invitation and not attend his own induction ceremony is unprecedented." So, I am guessing you are correct in that.

I find it doubtful that the quotes attributed to Owens were in fact made by him. They certainly don't sound like anything I've heard him say before.
Perhaps his mental faculties have declined and he is not capable of positively participating in his own enshrinement... ?

Can't speak about Owens' mental state, but there are plenty of older former pros who mentally sharp, and they played with inferior equipment. TO has always been childish, and his life has gone downhill since leaving the NFL. He's broke, having squandered his NFL fortune, and is an absentee father to four children with four different women. The ceremony could have been a opportunity for maturity and self-awareness, Owens is now 44 years old. But when you have people blaming others for their own failures, or holding silly grudges, that individual will continue to struggle. He absolutely should have attended the ceremony, and the HOF voters will be more hesitant in electing guys with troubled pasts. It just became more difficult for players like Jimmy Smith.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think it's a shame on TO for not attending. I thought for sure we would've been in for an entertaining speech... but I guess the drama came early. :lol:
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I know (of living newly enshrined HOFs) that Hank Stram was unable to attend the ceremony for health reasons when he was elected.

In the Baseball Hall of Fame, I have heard that former Detroit TIgers 2B Charlie Gehringer was unable to attend because he finally got married, something that he couldn't do earlier bacause he took care of his mother during his playing career..
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Apparently, TO plans on giving his HOF speech at his alma mater, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2398 ... hattanooga

Really?!?!
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Apparently, TO plans on giving his HOF speech at his alma mater, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga:

Really?!?!
That way he won't be sharing the stage with anyone. It'll be all about him.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

ChrisBabcock wrote:

Really?!?!
That way he won't be sharing the stage with anyone. It'll be all about him.
I was expecting some sort of Pay Per View event for his HOF speech.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Apparently, TO plans on giving his HOF speech at his alma mater, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga:

Really?!?!
Sure. Why not?
Hey, maybe they can put his bust there, too!