1960 Colts collapse

Bryan

Re: 1960 Colts collapse

Post by Bryan »

Not really buying the Ameche angle. Ameche's rushing total in the Colts 6 wins was 43 carries, 109 yards, 2 TDs. Not sure if those 7 carries for 2.5 yards a pop was really the issue.

In their 6 wins, the Colts defense forced 32 turnovers. In their 6 losses, only 7 turnovers were forced. The 1958 & 1959 Colts had an incredible amount of takeaways, leading the NFL each year in that category. Perhaps the 1960 was simply a regression to the mean in that regard.
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

Echoing the comments above, I think in Tom Callahan's book Johnny U he refers to the November game against the Bears in Wrigley Field as a "gang fight" that took a lot out of both teams.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Realized my mistake about 5 minutes after I posted. Then the computer died. I mixed up 2 different interviews with 2 different Colts players.
It was the great and always entertaining Artie Donovan that offered the comment on the 1960 Colts. It wasn't the main reason for our talk
so I just tossed it in as an aside, I still have the tape somewhere, I may dig it out to see if he said anything else on the subject. If you had ever
seen Artie on any of his TV interviews he was quite the character and would always have a story to tell.