1960 Colts collapse

74_75_78_79_

1960 Colts collapse

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Back-to-back champs had to look no less likely than any of the current contenders that year when they started 6-2 going into their bye-week. They lose at home to SF next game then suffer a heartbreaker to the Lions, also at home. Here’s an article of the game along with a comment from someone who was at the game...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4174 ... more-colts

The Colts would then lose their final two from there to sadly finish 6-6 and never again in the remaining Ewbank years flirt with contention. What happened? Was there more to it than simply suffering that heartbreaker and they not being able to get over it? Not a long run. ’57 they knock on the door, almost winning division as well as almost forcing a three-game playoff, then they win it in ’58 & ’59, start off 6-2 the following year, then that’s it until a few years later.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Tue May 01, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SixtiesFan

Re: 1960 Colts collapse

Post by SixtiesFan »

I saw the Lions-Colts game on TV, age 10. I've never forgotten the end. The Colts kicked off and it was returned to the Lion 35. The announcer said there was time for one play. Earl Morrall dropped straight back and threw downfield. It looked like a routine pass you saw in the middle of the game. The ball went right into Jim Gibbon's hands. He ran for a touchdown.

The thing about the play that stood out at the time, and still does, is how easy it looked. It wasn't anything like the "Hail Mary's" we've often seen in the years since. It was pitch and catch for a TD.
The Colts 1960 collapse was a big surprise. They had won two straight and figured to win the NFL Title again in 1960.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

In the late 1990s I had a chance to meet and talk with the great Colts TE John Mackey. After I teased him a bit about his 'double' tipped TD reception in SB V I brought up the subject of the 1960 Colts who were going for the three-peat. When I asked him about the collapse he paused for a few seconds then replied,"I still have no idea what happened." I reasoned if the members of the team had no idea what happened researchers such as ourselves won't be able to find answers either.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

RRMarshall wrote:In the late 1990s I had a chance to meet and talk with the great Colts TE John Mackey. After I teased him a bit about his 'double' tipped TD reception in SB V I brought up the subject of the 1960 Colts who were going for the three-peat. When I asked him about the collapse he paused for a few seconds then replied,"I still have no idea what happened." I reasoned if the members of the team had no idea what happened researchers such as ourselves won't be able to find answers either.
John Mackey wasn't a member of the 1960 Colts. He joined the team in 1963.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

For what it's worth, I read someplace that one thing that hurt the Colts in 1960 was Alan Ameche's injury. After that their running game, especially short yardage plays, was not as good. The Colts had to rely mostly on their passing game after that.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Saban wrote:For what it's worth, I read someplace that one thing that hurt the Colts in 1960 was Alan Ameche's injury. After that their running game, especially short yardage plays, was not as good. The Colts had to rely mostly on their passing game after that.
Yeah, in what week did he injure his achilles? It'd be interesting to compare the before & after rushing stats.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JohnR wrote:
Saban wrote:For what it's worth, I read someplace that one thing that hurt the Colts in 1960 was Alan Ameche's injury. After that their running game, especially short yardage plays, was not as good. The Colts had to rely mostly on their passing game after that.
Yeah, in what week did he injure his achilles? It'd be interesting to compare the before & after rushing stats.
He injured it right before halftime of the Lions collapse game. It was noted in postgame comments that Ameche's blocking was definitely missed because Johnny U was getting more heat from Lions rushers without his help. The Colts only rushed for 54 yards in the game, but it's telling that they only got nine after halftime.

The Colts passing game had been struggling because both Berry and Mutscheller were dealing with leg problems for most of the year.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Unitas also slumped in the final 4 games. They were 6-2 and in contention, but went 0-4 and
during those games he was 67/144 46.5% 1055 yards 6 TD 12 Picks 50.5 rating

the first 8 games he was typical Unitas—123/234 52.6 % 2044 Yards 19 TDs 12 TD 88.0 rating when they went 6-2
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

The end-of-season tailspin followed a loss to the Bears that was described as brutal. Ameche suffered a season-ending injury, and Unitas took a wicked shot from Bill George and Doug Adkins that knocked out his front teeth, broke his nose and might have caused internal injuries (punctured lung?). Famously, Unitas insisted on staying in the game. Legend has it they stopped the bleeding from his nose and teeth by packing them with mud, and he hit Lenny Moore with the game winning touchdown pass on the last play of the game to pull out a 24-20 victory. The win gave them a 6-2 record, but they lost their last four games, probably in part because of what happened to Unitas and Ameche. Here's a good article about that game from the Baltimore Sun: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2007-0 ... cago-bears
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Great article. Thank you very much!

""That game was so physical that we lost our last four," Marchetti said."
I guess we know Gino's opinion of why that season went south...