2 QBs drafted in 1st 3 Rounds by 1 Team???

vikingsfan1963

2 QBs drafted in 1st 3 Rounds by 1 Team???

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

I know the Oilers did this in '71 with Pastorini and Dickey. Any others do this? I ask because I saw where it was speculated the Browns would take QBs with their 2 first rounders.
L.C. Greenwood

Re: 2 QBs drafted in 1st 3 Rounds by 1 Team???

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

vikingsfan1963 wrote:I know the Oilers did this in '71 with Pastorini and Dickey. Any others do this? I ask because I saw where it was speculated the Browns would take QBs with their 2 first rounders.

Cleveland has so many needs, I can't imagine why they'd think taking two QBs in the first round is a good idea.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I doubt they would do it but the thinking is that they HAVE to get a QB in this draft and, since there is no clear cut favourite, it might be a good idea to get two of the top prospects.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I don't know if it qualifies, but Dallas selected in 1989 two first round QB's: Troy Aikman (top overall pick) and Steve Walsh (supllemental draft).
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

In 1978 the Cleveland Browns selected Johnny Evans (who also was a punter) in the 2nd round and Mark Miller in the 3rd round. They never started a NFL between them, although both made the team for three seasons (i think). Evans later played with Mntreal in the CFL.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

The 49ers (from the 2005 Caught in the Draft episode) thought about taking A-Rod if he would have dropped to them in Round 2.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:I don't know if it qualifies, but Dallas selected in 1989 two first round QB's: Troy Aikman (top overall pick) and Steve Walsh (supllemental draft).
This proved to me how vital the Herschel Walker trade was to the legacy of Jimmy Johnson...he's up for the Hall of Fame, people still refer to Johnson's "Draft Value Chart"...yet he basically wasted the 1990 #1 overall pick on his old college QB and even that blunder still worked out for Johnson because he was able to flip Walsh to the Saints for 3 more picks. It would be like Bill Walsh using a #1 overall pick on Steve Dils, and the Niners still becoming the team of the 1980's.

To answer the OP, the Jets drafting Joe Namath in round 1 and then John Huarte in round 2 comes to mind.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Bryan wrote:
Teo wrote:I don't know if it qualifies, but Dallas selected in 1989 two first round QB's: Troy Aikman (top overall pick) and Steve Walsh (supllemental draft).
This proved to me how vital the Herschel Walker trade was to the legacy of Jimmy Johnson...he's up for the Hall of Fame, people still refer to Johnson's "Draft Value Chart"...yet he basically wasted the 1990 #1 overall pick on his old college QB and even that blunder still worked out for Johnson because he was able to flip Walsh to the Saints for 3 more picks. It would be like Bill Walsh using a #1 overall pick on Steve Dils, and the Niners still becoming the team of the 1980's.

To answer the OP, the Jets drafting Joe Namath in round 1 and then John Huarte in round 2 comes to mind.

Ahh, the draft value chart. What an annoying thing that is.

"Ooohh, the Jets traded x value to the Colts to move up three spots in the draft. What a horrific trade for the Jets."

"Oh my goodness, the Eagles did what? They unloaded x value to move up to #2? Are they insane!? They got fleeced in this deal. I don't even care if they get Goff or Wentz and the guy turns out to be a Hall of Famer. This is a terrible deal."

SMH at these people who worship at the altar of the majestic Draft Value Chart.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Teo wrote:In 1978 the Cleveland Browns selected Johnny Evans (who also was a punter) in the 2nd round and Mark Miller in the 3rd round. They never started a NFL between them, although both made the team for three seasons (i think). Evans later played with Mntreal in the CFL.
Presumably because they drafted Evans so high, the Browns cut Greg Coleman, who had been their punter the year before. The Vikings picked him up and kept him for years to come.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

I was thinking early 1960s since teams may want to play it safe because the other league was also holding a draft.
The Lions in 1962 with Hadl in the first round and Eddie Wilson in the 2nd round

The Jets in 1965 AFL draft was close Namath 1st round someone named Bob Schweickert in the 4th round. Both QBs were draft by the NFL but signed with the Jets. Namath -Cardinals and Schweickert-49ers

I thought of the Redskins in 2012 with RG3 and Cousins, but Cousins was the 7th pick of the 4th round.