Changing postions. Suh to Rams (maybe) to 3-4 def

JeffreyMiller

Re: Changing postions. Suh to Rams (maybe) to 3-4 def

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Did anybody mention Marlin Briscoe? Had a decent rookie season as the Broncos QB (14 TD passes), then went to Buffalo and made the Pro Bowl as a WR.

Tom Day played a couple years at guard for the AFL Bills before switching over to defensive end, where he was a solid performer throughout their championship years ...

Ed Rutkowski (WR) gained notoriety for taking over at QB during the Bills' disastrous 1968 season, but he also had previously played cornerback and offensive halfback prior to becoming a WR.

Then there is Joe Morrison, who seemed to play every offensive skill position for the NY Giants ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Did anybody mention Marlin Briscoe? Had a decent rookie season as the Broncos QB (14 TD passes), then went to Buffalo and made the Pro Bowl as a WR.

Tom Day played a couple years at guard for the AFL Bills before switching over to defensive end, where he was a solid performer throughout their championship years ...

Ed Rutkowski (WR) gained notoriety for taking over at QB during the Bills' disastrous 1968 season, but he also had previously played cornerback and offensive halfback prior to becoming a WR.

Then there is Joe Morrison, who seemed to play every offensive skill position for the NY Giants ...
Morrison also played DB at times. He had 2 career INTs.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Former NFL tight end and Vikings coach Mike Tice was a starting quarterback at Maryland.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

I almost forgot Kansas City's E.J.Holub, longtime Chiefs linebacker who Hank Stram moved to center to save his fragile knees. He started SB I at LB and SB IV at center, I believe the only player to start a Super Bowl game on defense and then on offense. Can anyone think of anyone else??
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Of course, Frank Gifford started in the NFL as a (pro bowl) DB then switched to offense.
I think that worked out OK...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bob Golic moved from ILBer to nose...
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Now that this has become a reality any opinions on Suh playing next to Donald in Wade Phillips' defense?
(I'm not too thrilled about it, as a 49ers fan)

ESPN:
Under Phillips, Suh is expected to play nose tackle in 3-4 base sets. In that scenario, Donald would remain the 3-technique -- lining up between the left tackle and the left guard -- and Michael Brockers would return to playing defensive end on the opposite side.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2292 ... geles-rams

And just to liven the debate (from the same article):
The Los Angeles Rams have secured what might be the greatest pairing of interior linemen in NFL history, adding five-time Pro Bowler Ndamukong Suh to the same unit as Aaron Donald, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year.
JWL

Post by JWL »

I find the position switches in recent years to be more notable considering this is a time of such great specialization. Mike Furrey playing safety in 2005 and leading the Rams in interceptions and then leading the NFC in receptions for the Lions in 2006 was very impressive.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JuggernautJ wrote:Now that this has become a reality any opinions on Suh playing next to Donald in Wade Phillips' defense?
(I'm not too thrilled about it, as a 49ers fan)
http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... iplex.html