Passed the "Eye-Test" but...

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

Passed the "Eye-Test" but...

Post by JuggernautJ »

"We" often discuss the credentials of Hall of Famers (and would-be Hall of Famers) as consisting of honors (Pro Bowl/All Pro/Team of a Decade) and "passing the eye-test" (did the player look like a HoFer to you on the field).

While this last criterion is, of course, subjective it is often the final argument in determining if, in one's opinion, a player is worthy of enshrinement.

So, my question, especially to those with the most film watching experience is this:
Who did you think passed the "eye-test" but never made it (and probably never will) to Canton?

Obviously, many of the "Hall of Very Good" players would qualify here but I am looking for something perhaps more obscure... as a matter of your personal opinion, who passed your 'eye-test" but still waits for "the call to the Hall?"

Lastly, why do you think the "Hall" never called for your candidate?
JohnTurney

Example

Post by JohnTurney »

JuggernautJ wrote: Who did you think passed the "eye-test" but never made it (and probably never will) to Canton?

Bryant Young is one who is in this category.

If you watched Larry Brooks, he would pass any eye test. His technique was great, doing the 3-point landing (hands and facemask) on the opponent the "butt technique" and also a good pass rusher. Led Ram Dl in tackles 1973-80 except 1975 when he was hurt. Averaged about 9 sacks a year. very powerful build, though not fast. Also had a wicked club move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek_A0kw-Ju8
bachslunch

Re: Passed the "Eye-Test" but...

Post by bachslunch »

Film study unfortunately is not something I have the knowledge or resources to do, though there are some players who may have decent cases, have a respectable sized career, reportedly look good on film, don’t have much in the way of honors, and aren’t likely to get into the PFHoF. Examples:

Matt Hazeltine
Cedric Hardman
Bob Skoronski
Albert Lewis
Fuzzy Thurston
Bob Kuechenberg
Carl Banks
Mike Kenn
Lydell Mitchell

Just tossing out some names. Feel free to ignore if it’s a bad list — not going to the mat for any of these folks.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

JuggernautJ wrote:"We" often discuss the credentials of Hall of Famers (and would-be Hall of Famers) as consisting of honors (Pro Bowl/All Pro/Team of a Decade) and "passing the eye-test" (did the player look like a HoFer to you on the field).

While this last criterion is, of course, subjective it is often the final argument in determining if, in one's opinion, a player is worthy of enshrinement.

So, my question, especially to those with the most film watching experience is this:
Who did you think passed the "eye-test" but never made it (and probably never will) to Canton?

Obviously, many of the "Hall of Very Good" players would qualify here but I am looking for something perhaps more obscure... as a matter of your personal opinion, who passed your 'eye-test" but still waits for "the call to the Hall?"

As you can tell from my screen name, I'm a strong advocate of L.C. Greenwood for the HOF. He's been a finalist six times already, and I do feel the Veterans Committee will eventually see the light. Like Jerry Kramer, Greenwood's case has been damaged by the perception of too many teammates already enshrined. He does pass the eye test, in my opinion, a six time pro bowler, two time All-Pro, who led those Steelers teams in sacks six times. A member of the 70's All-Decade team, and the 25th SB anniversary team. Unlike some other candidates, Greenwood's postseason play really shines. In SB 9, he devastated future Vikings HOF Ron Yary, helping shut down that Minnesota attack. In SB 10, Greenwood sacked Roger Staubach three times, in another SB win.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

L.C. Greenwood wrote: As you can tell from my screen name, I'm a strong advocate of L.C. Greenwood for the HOF. He's been a finalist six times already, and I do feel the Veterans Committee will eventually see the light. Like Jerry Kramer, Greenwood's case has been damaged by the perception of too many teammates already enshrined. He does pass the eye test, in my opinion, a six-time pro bowler, two-time All-Pro, who led those Steelers teams in sacks six times. A member of the 70's All-Decade team, and the 25th SB anniversary team. Unlike some other candidates, Greenwood's postseason play really shines. In SB 9, he devastated future Vikings HOF Ron Yary, helping shut down that Minnesota attack. In SB 10, Greenwood sacked Roger Staubach three times, in another SB win.
Generally used to be mildly opposed to Greenwood, but with other DEs with lower honors getting it, it is hard to deny him. I thought the 2-All-Pros was a bit light. Six Pro Bowls is plenty, but the leading team in sacks six times was someone odd in that the totals werre low, led team with 7 sacks once, 9 anohter. 5 in another, 8.5 in another. Only two double-digit sack seasons (1971, 1974)

The Play in Super Bowl X was stellar (actually 4 sacks), the Yary matchup was not as bad as Dr. Z made it out to be, the game tape is pretty widely available for anyone to give their own views.

All that said, his career matches up very well with Dent and Dean and surpasses Bethea, so in terms of fairness, he belongs.

bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

John, of the folks you listed in the chart, I’m fine with all of these folks getting in except perhaps for Katkavage, Alzado, Rice, and O’Neill. Barring a strong film study case, at least.

Faison’s short career doesn’t trouble me any. Also glad to see Gene Brito listed, who I suspect tends to get forgotten about.
nicefellow31

Re: Example

Post by nicefellow31 »

JohnTurney wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote: Who did you think passed the "eye-test" but never made it (and probably never will) to Canton?

Bryant Young is one who is in this category.

If you watched Larry Brooks, he would pass any eye test. His technique was great, doing the 3-point landing (hands and facemask) on the opponent the "butt technique" and also a good pass rusher. Led Ram Dl in tackles 1973-80 except 1975 when he was hurt. Averaged about 9 sacks a year. very powerful build, though not fast. Also had a wicked club move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek_A0kw-Ju8
Just noticed on snap #2 he shoved John Hannah out the way and to the ground on his way to Grogan.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

nicefellow31 wrote:
Just noticed on snap #2 he shoved John Hannah out the way and to the ground on his way to Grogan.
That was his club move. Fake one way, step the opposite and club the guy out of the way. Reggie White called it the "hump"
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I can’t claim to do film study, but I watch any Tel Ra (50s) shows I can get a hold of which typically show touchdowns and big plays so you don’t get to see many defensive highlights (I'd love to see Norm Willey sacking the QB for example, but its not something the shows emphasize). The non-HOFers that come to mind right away (I'm probaly forgetting some ) as passing my eye test:

Billy Howton
Dan Towler
Elbie Nickel
Eddie Price

The first two are in the HOVG so probably don't meet the obscure criteria the OP mentioned.

I think a player can pass the eye test for a season or two or even more, but I think the HOF requires a sustained period of excellence. (As a tangent, I tend to think of the 20s and 30s as the decades that should have more HOFers because their career lengths need to be compared to their contemporaries and I suspect sometimes this doesn't happen. And its difficult for them to pass the eye test given how little film there is of them and how difficult it is to access the film that does exist.)

I think one of the good things about the HOVG is that we can loosen some of the criteria. Nickel is on the Steelers Legends Team for example and I've seen his name come up in discussions of Ends from the 50s. I'll probably include him among my 5 HOVG nominations.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

JohnTurney wrote:
nicefellow31 wrote:
That was his club move. Fake one way, step the opposite and club the guy out of the way. Reggie White called it the "hump"
Ironically he was the defensive line coach for the Packers from 1994-98. Imagine the conversation those two had.