Nice to see Kramer take his spot.

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Nice to see Kramer take his spot.

Post by JohnTurney »

Hutch is the higher "peak" if you go by consensus All-Pro, but Faneca had longer "peak" 10 All-AFC/9 Pro Bowls...both have 2 OL of year awards and both have All-Decade accolades. Faneca has a ring and was healthier.

My eye test has Hutch as the better, more powerful blocker and better pass protector. But not by a super wide margin.

sluggermatt15

Re: Nice to see Kramer take his spot.

Post by sluggermatt15 »

IMO Hutchinson and Faneca will both be elected in the near future (next few years). Both are deserving IMO, tremendous guards who have the accolades.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

sluggermatt15 wrote:IMO Hutchinson and Faneca will both be elected in the near future (next few years). Both are deserving IMO, tremendous guards who have the accolades.
Hope it is next year, to get them back on track of not letting Olinemen fall behind
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Good chart, John.

Kind of interesting that Steve Wisniewski’s candidacy has gone nowhere despite a 5/8/90s profile. Been eligible for about 12 years now, too. He did have a reputation for flagrantly dirty play — and am wondering if that’s part of the reason, even though it didn’t impact other players like Dick Butkus and Joe Greene.

Any thoughts on how he looks on film?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

bachslunch wrote:.

Any thoughts on how he looks on film?
Only have seen telecasts and highlights. A good guard, never struck me as a good drive blocker. Played in an era where they didn't pull.. good pass protector, but never struck me as a HOFer. I mean, he's got the numbers, in some ways like Tim Brown. And All-AFC/Pro Bowl type as opposed to All-NFL type
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Interesting chart. How did you calculate the 1st Team All Pro stuff for the 1960's...was it a combined AFL/NFL list or were the NFL and AFL counted separately? If the leagues were separated, then you'd have 4 All-Pro 1st Team spots instead of 2. I was surprised that Gene Upshaw's "resume" looks so strong, but I'm not sure if he benefited from 1967-69 with getting some 1st Team AFL spots. Dick Stanfel got consensus 1st Team All Pro honors in 1954 despite playing in only 6 games, which I assume are the greatest 6 games ever put together by an OL in league history. The on thing that sticks out to me is Tom Mack...0 consensus 1st team All Pros, 11 Pro Bowls.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote:Interesting chart. How did you calculate the 1st Team All Pro stuff for the 1960's..
I went generous and if they were on the team, all of them got 1st team, meaning there were more than 2 guards, now, the AFL team had 1st and 2nd team so went with them, but for 1950s and 1960s, just making it desigated being 1st team. Not exactly accurate, but since we will never know who the top 2 voter-getters were, I just was feeling generous.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote:I. The on thing that sticks out to me is Tom Mack...0 consensus 1st team All Pros, 11 Pro Bowls.
He had a couple of years where he was close to being on the majority, but never a clear consensus choice...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnTurney wrote:He had a couple of years where he was close to being on the majority, but never a clear consensus choice...
What do you think of Tom Mack's HOF worthiness? Was he deserving in your opinion?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

What do you think of Tom Mack's HOF worthiness? Was he deserving in your opinion?
He always struck me as benefitting from a long career of "very goodness" but ever really among the greats. Definitely deserving of the Hall though. I'd like to read John's take on him as well.