Warren Lahr HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

Warren Lahr HOVG?

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

OK, so he was a 2017 finalist which means I missed a chance to discuss him before this year's voting, but I only recently started looking closely at the 50s.

He had the interception to end the 50' championship game (was it also a safety?) and he did well in my look at AP and UP All-Pros from 1950-54. He had a first team in '51 and second team honors in '52, '53, and '54. I didn't look at enough years to make an apples to apples comparison with Bobby Dillon (HOVG). Do people like Dillon significantly better? Lahr had 44 interceptions to Dillon's 52. And another 5 in 11 playoff games. Jack Christiansen was one of his contemporaries in the HOF and he had just two more interceptions with 46.
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
bachslunch

Re: Warren Lahr HOVG?

Post by bachslunch »

No idea how Warren Lahr looks in film study, but his honors profile is pretty dismal at 1/1/none. Bobby Dillon (5/4/none) seems infinitely preferable — if memory serves he’s in the HOVG already and deservedly so, and I’d be fine if he made the HoF someday.

I’m not sure I’d even pick Lahr over someone like Don Doll (2/4/none) unless career length or film study is an issue.
TanksAndSpartans

bachslunch wrote:No idea how Warren Lahr looks in film study, but his honors profile is pretty dismal at 1/1/none. Bobby Dillon (5/4/none) seems infinitely preferable — if memory serves he’s in the HOVG already and deservedly so, and I’d be fine if he made the HoF someday.

I’m not sure I’d even pick Lahr over someone like Don Doll (2/4/none) unless career length or film study is an issue.
Thanks - I edited my post to add Dillon was in the HOVG which is why I brought him up. (1/1/none)? PFR shows 6 total honors. Don't you count 2nd team and any organization? Isn't it: (Pro Bowls/postseason honors any org/all decade team)?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... hrWa20.htm

Also the Browns did really well at that time so he was a part of some championships. It may not mean anything but he was first from '50 to '54 in my analysis. Of course I have another thread puzzling over why Night Train Lane was disregarded by All-Pro voting - DB was the position that made the least sense as Lahr and Landry were the top DBs and not Lane/Dillon.

In terms of all-decade teams, John Turney provided this link in one of my threads:

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... -team.html

Lahr does show up, but only PFR has him which is the all decade team neither of us liked :). But would you ever consider changing the "None" since he did make an all-decade team and I don't think the HOF has the best one - I personally like pro football chronicle. Back to Lahr, couldn't I argue (1/6/1)?
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

I actually don’t count second team or all conference selections when I do my honors listings, plus I only use the HoF all decade teams. But some folks do take these into account, and FWIW that’s okay by me.
TanksAndSpartans

Got it - thanks - makes sense. I think you told me before - hopefully it sticks with me this time.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

bachslunch wrote:I actually don’t count second team or all conference selections when I do my honors listings, plus I only use the HoF all decade teams. But some folks do take these into account, and FWIW that’s okay by me.
Interesting. I respect your perspective. I prefer to take everything into account, but that's just me. Lahr is a possibility for HOVG, but I think there exists a line between HoF, HOVG, and a good football player.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
bachslunch wrote:I actually don’t count second team or all conference selections when I do my honors listings, plus I only use the HoF all decade teams. But some folks do take these into account, and FWIW that’s okay by me.
Interesting. I respect your perspective. I prefer to take everything into account, but that's just me. Lahr is a possibility for HOVG, but I think there exists a line between HoF, HOVG, and a good football player.
Thanks. I see the 1st team all pro selections as elite, the pro bowl selections as a secondary level of honor (kind of analogous to adding up 1st and 2nd team all pro selections — the analogy isn’t always direct, but that’s the thinking).