IF this is Ben McAdoo’s last season with G-Men...

74_75_78_79_

IF this is Ben McAdoo’s last season with G-Men...

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

...what other examples can you give of a first-year HC taking over a losing team from the year before, instantly turning them into a playoff team, but then getting fired the following (losing) year?

Of course the Eli benching can be discussed in this thread along with Geno Smith, in 2017 mind you, being the first black QB to start for the Giants. A bit surprised by this. Can anyone name any black NYG QBs that were ever on the roster?

As for the Eli benching...I can see if it was a QB who hasn’t gotten any snaps in his career yet and with the season already lost, you may as well see what he can do, but between Geno’s time with Jets and this past pre-season with Giants, he’s already unproven, so don’t get the point. Recent struggles aside, Eli is a 14-year two-time SB-champ/MVP (likely enough Canton-bound, Giants’ Ring of Honor at very least)...could have been handled better.
ChrisBabcock

Re: IF this is Ben McAdoo’s last season with G-Men...

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I immediately thought of Eric Mangini. He doesn't qualify but he comes close. The Jets were a 10-6 playoff team in his first year in 2006. Plummeted to 4-12 the next year and could have been fired, but coached one more year in '08. (9-7)
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:...what other examples can you give of a first-year HC taking over a losing team from the year before, instantly turning them into a playoff team, but then getting fired the following (losing) year?

Of course the Eli benching can be discussed in this thread along with Geno Smith, in 2017 mind you, being the first black QB to start for the Giants. A bit surprised by this. Can anyone name any black NYG QBs that were ever on the roster?

As for the Eli benching...I can see if it was a QB who hasn’t gotten any snaps in his career yet and with the season already lost, you may as well see what he can do, but between Geno’s time with Jets and this past pre-season with Giants, he’s already unproven, so don’t get the point. Recent struggles aside, Eli is a 14-year two-time SB-champ/MVP (likely enough Canton-bound, Giants’ Ring of Honor at very least)...could have been handled better.
They didn't take over losing teams, but...

Paddy Driscoll took over the Bears, led them to the NFL Championship game. One more losing year, and he's kicked upstairs so Halas can coach again.

Don McCafferty WON THE SUPER BOWL, went to the AFC title game the next year, then was fired after 5 more games. Because he wouldn't go along with Joe Thomas' rebuilding program, though it was just a matter of time anyway.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Jay Z wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:...what other examples can you give of a first-year HC taking over a losing team from the year before, instantly turning them into a playoff team, but then getting fired the following (losing) year?

They didn't take over losing teams, but...

Paddy Driscoll took over the Bears, led them to the NFL Championship game. One more losing year, and he's kicked upstairs so Halas can coach again.

Don McCafferty WON THE SUPER BOWL, went to the AFC title game the next year, then was fired after 5 more games. Because he wouldn't go along with Joe Thomas' rebuilding program, though it was just a matter of time anyway.
Bud Carson took over the Browns in 1989, got them to the AFC title game (on fumes) and then was fired at midseason in '90 after they collapsed.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Chip Kelly. Got the Eagles to the playoffs his first year with a 10-6 record (2013). His second year he matched his 10-6 record, but they failed to make the playoffs (2014). He was fired with a 6-9 record in his third year (2015).
JWL

Post by JWL »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:As for the Eli benching...I can see if it was a QB who hasn’t gotten any snaps in his career yet and with the season already lost, you may as well see what he can do, but between Geno’s time with Jets and this past pre-season with Giants, he’s already unproven, so don’t get the point. Recent struggles aside, Eli is a 14-year two-time SB-champ/MVP (likely enough Canton-bound, Giants’ Ring of Honor at very least)...could have been handled better.
The way the Giants went about benching Manning is pretty lame in my opinion and in the opinion of many, many others.

However, I ran into a Jets fan online who thinks John Mara orchestrated the move in order to tank. This fan believes the Giants were a threat to finish 7-9 with Manning starting but now that Smith is starting, the team is pretty much a lock to go 2-14. Then he went on to write that the Jets are too stupid to pull off a similar move.

I had a hard time responding other than to write I couldn't believe that somebody actually wrote something like that and was serious about it. This fan is in his 50s and suffers from post traumatic Jets syndrome. That is where you think everything the Jets do is wrong and everything the cool teams do is right and the sky is constantly falling and stuff like that.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Jock Sutherland took over the 1946 Steelers, who went 2-8 in 1945, went 5-5-1 during 1946, made the playoffs in 1947 at 8-4, then was replaced by John Michelosen in 1948.
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

Sutherland died in the offseason. Michelosen was his top asst.
JM