Somewhat historic Mike Mularkey firing

Bryan

Somewhat historic Mike Mularkey firing

Post by Bryan »

Mike Mularkey is the first NFL coach in 15 years to be fired after winning a playoff game. The last time that happened, Steve Mariucci was let go by the Niners. Mularkey inherited the worst team in the league, went 9-7 in his first two full seasons, and won the franchise's first playoff game in 14 years. Mariucci was fired by SF despite a 57-39 record and 4 playoff appearances in 6 years. The irony of the Mariucci firing was that he was replaced by Dennis Erickson, who precipitated the Niners' 'death spiral' of 8 consecutive seasons without a winning record.

Strange times.
BD Sullivan

Re: Somewhat historic Mike Mularkey firing

Post by BD Sullivan »

After the 1988 season, Art Modell essentially forced Marty Schottenheimer out by demanding he fire/reassign his brother. That came three days after the Browns had lost the WC game to Houston by a point, 24-23.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

John Mackovic was canned by the Chiefs in 1986 after taking them to their first postseason in 15 years. There was if I recall a power struggle where the players wanted Special Teams coach Frank Gansz to take over the team. Gansz was hired as head coach, won eight games over the next two seasons, and was fired. Neither Mackovic or Gansz ever coached an NFL team again.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:John Mackovic was canned by the Chiefs in 1986 after taking them to their first postseason in 15 years. There was if I recall a power struggle where the players wanted Special Teams coach Frank Gansz to take over the team. Gansz was hired as head coach, won eight games over the next two seasons, and was fired. Neither Mackovic or Gansz ever coached an NFL team again.
I wonder if Gansz was hurt by the 1987 NFL Strike. That year, the Chiefs won their first game, and expectations were high. The next week, however, they lost big at Seattle, lost all their strike games, and lost several close games the rest of the year en route to a 4-11 record. The next year, they were 4-11-1, but lost seven games by a TD or less.

Also, I wonder why Mackovic wasn't fired after the 1985 season. That team started 3-1, but went on to lose nine of their last 12 games.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Yeah, I don’t get the Mularkey ‘resignation’ either. His resume ought to get him another HC spot just like that for 2018.

Mariucci? Hard to understand that as well. Actually, it is understandable - Eddie was no longer at helm. Still, Steve inherited a winner from Seifert, but was heading toward an inevitable two-season (’99/’00) ‘wall’ that Seifert and even Walsh may have not been able to avoid. But he brought SF right back to winning/playoff ways in ’01 and again in ’02. You think the Yorks would have given him at least another year (at least).

Was never aware of Gansz’s respectability in KC. Perhaps he should have been given another go in ’89, but hard to argue bringing Marty onboard instead (instant winning season, 8-7-1, ushering in that ’90s playoff era).
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

BD Sullivan wrote:After the 1988 season, Art Modell essentially forced Marty Schottenheimer out by demanding he fire/reassign his brother. That came three days after the Browns had lost the WC game to Houston by a point, 24-23.
How were Cleveland's special teams under Schottenheimer? He eventually became a not very successful DC and he never lasted very long in one place. His best hope for tenure anywhere was to latch onto Marty's coat tails.
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

My understanding from the media reports is that it was a parting of ways. I believe management wanted Mularkey to make some adjustments to his staff and he refused. Now granted I don't know which side told the media that story.

I think that maybe he should have considered it. While I agree he did a good job in Tennessee based on his overall record I'm not sure he will get another HC job in the NFL. If he does it would probably been the same way he got the Tennessee job. He happened to be on the staff when the HC was fired before years end.There isn't much to get excited about even as an OC he wasn't overly impressive. He had a couple of good years in Pittsburgh which lead to the Bills head coaching position and a couple of good years in Atlanta which lead to the Jaguars job. Classic NFL example of a retread head coach.

As for the comments on Mackovic he shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Nothing against him but Lamar Hunt even admitted he pulled the trigger too fast in firing Marv Levy which lead to the hire of Mackovic.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

FWIW, Mularkey led Bills to their only winning record during their ’00-thru-’16 playoff drought - 2004, 9-7, according to Football Outsiders’ method, (yes, another FWIW, lol) the 4th-best defense ever.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JKelly wrote:My understanding from the media reports is that it was a parting of ways. I believe management wanted Mularkey to make some adjustments to his staff and he refused. Now granted I don't know which side told the media that story.

I think that maybe he should have considered it. While I agree he did a good job in Tennessee based on his overall record I'm not sure he will get another HC job in the NFL. If he does it would probably been the same way he got the Tennessee job. He happened to be on the staff when the HC was fired before years end.There isn't much to get excited about even as an OC he wasn't overly impressive. He had a couple of good years in Pittsburgh which lead to the Bills head coaching position and a couple of good years in Atlanta which lead to the Jaguars job. Classic NFL example of a retread head coach.

As for the comments on Mackovic he shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Nothing against him but Lamar Hunt even admitted he pulled the trigger too fast in firing Marv Levy which lead to the hire of Mackovic.
I recall reading a couple of pieces in Pro Football Weekly circa 1981-82 calling John Mackovic, then a Cowboy assistant, a "Landry clone." And "Mackovic has got the Cowboy job when Tom Landry steps down."
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Walt Michaels resigned in 1983 after winning two playoff games. He cited stress but there were always rumors as to what exactly happened there. Supposedly moron Leon Hess was fed up with him and made him resign because he was too emotional.

Hess was also the guy who put his foot down and ordered us to not draft Sapp. Because of "character issues" :!: