HoF finalist list released

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
sluggermatt15

Re: HoF finalist list released

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Ness wrote:For the modern candidates I'd go:

Lewis
Moss
Owens
Fancea
Dawkins
I agree with your selections. That's probably who I'd vote for too.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

When discussing Ray Lewis, I wonder if the voters will even bring up the whole double murder thing in Atlanta at Super Bowl XXXIV? Lewis has kept his nose clean and been nothing short of an exemplary role model since then, but the murder was never solved and many believe that a member of his entourage was responsible for it (Ray's rented limo was at the scene but Ray was not) and Lewis knew and may have lied about it to police. Or will it be a mic drop like Favre was? The character issues won't stop him from going in, but it is a part of his football career.

I think Moss and Owens will both go in this year.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Rupert Patrick wrote: I think Moss and Owens will both go in this year.
Maybe that's the best way to deal with it.
Put them both in at the same time and let them duel it out at the induction ceremony...
"No, I was the best!" While Jerry Rice just smiles in the background.

:D
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Rupert Patrick wrote:When discussing Ray Lewis, I wonder if the voters will even bring up the whole double murder thing in Atlanta at Super Bowl XXXIV? Lewis has kept his nose clean and been nothing short of an exemplary role model since then, but the murder was never solved and many believe that a member of his entourage was responsible for it (Ray's rented limo was at the scene but Ray was not) and Lewis knew and may have lied about it to police. Or will it be a mic drop like Favre was? The character issues won't stop him from going in, but it is a part of his football career.
There was the deer antler spray thing, too.
Ness

Post by Ness »

Reaser wrote:There was the deer antler spray thing, too.
That seemed like a BS story that someone put out right at the Super Bowl to try and capitalize on. No one will even remember that.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Reaser wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:When discussing Ray Lewis, I wonder if the voters will even bring up the whole double murder thing in Atlanta at Super Bowl XXXIV? Lewis has kept his nose clean and been nothing short of an exemplary role model since then, but the murder was never solved and many believe that a member of his entourage was responsible for it (Ray's rented limo was at the scene but Ray was not) and Lewis knew and may have lied about it to police. Or will it be a mic drop like Favre was? The character issues won't stop him from going in, but it is a part of his football career.
There was the deer antler spray thing, too.
That was a horrible thing, when I think of some deer out there in the wilderness who had his antlers removed so somebody could make a spray out of them that Ray Lewis could use on his torn muscle.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Ness wrote:That seemed like a BS story that someone put out right at the Super Bowl to try and capitalize on. No one will even remember that.
Random fans won't but in context, media will. It was a story -for media- during Super Bowl week.

Ray and the media did a good job making that story go away more than it was nothing to begin with. The source was definitely some nut and yes, clearly wanted fame/attention but I always thought there was truth in there somewhere. Especially since there was some kind of connection and other athletes admitted to using it. But sure, no one knows what deer antler spray is or does and there was a good denial so who really cares. Still think someone will probably mention it.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I am a little surprised John Lynch progressed to the finalist round as his career in the NFL is still "active."
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

JuggernautJ wrote:I am a little surprised John Lynch progressed to the finalist round as his career in the NFL is still "active."
He’s active in a HoF Contributor sense, and you can be active in this category and still be elected. Players and coaches are a different story.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

I also doubt any character related isssues will impede Ray Lewis being first ballot.