Thoughts on blocking TEs from the 1960's, 1970's & 1980's

rhickok1109

Re: Thoughts on blocking TEs from the 1960's, 1970's & 1980'

Post by rhickok1109 »

It looks as my post got swallow up somehow, but if this is a dupe, I apologize and hope an adminstrator deletes it...

"Willing blocker" is a phrase often used by coaches and scouts for a player who tries hard but isn't necessarily a really effective blocker because of his size--for example, a 210-pound TE who is asked to block a 245-pound LB. OTOH, there have been guys with the size who aren't willing to block. They can and should be criticized, but the willing blockers shouldn't be, and I think many of the players mentioned in this thread fall into that category.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

rhickok1109 wrote:It looks as my post got swallow up somehow, but if this is a dupe, I apologize and hope an adminstrator deletes it...

"Willing blocker" is a phrase often used by coaches and scouts for a player who tries hard but isn't necessarily a really effective blocker because of his size--for example, a 210-pound TE who is asked to block a 245-pound LB. OTOH, there have been guys with the size who aren't willing to block. They can and should be criticized, but the willing blockers shouldn't be, and I think many of the players mentioned in this thread fall into that category.

That could be Catfish Smith (willing blocker). Not particularly big for a tight end (about 215), Smith would block when blocking was called for. I don't know if he was a great blocker, but he did block.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Marv Fleming is one of those names to be lost in the files of history. The first player to earn 4 SB rings, two with GB and two
with Shula's Dolphins. He fit in perfectly with Shula's run-based offense...the first in history to have two 1,000-yard rushers in one season (Csonka-Morris in 1973). Fleming played on run downs, and the receiving TE Jim Mandich came in on passing downs which were rare for that team. But he could catch the ball, I recall him converting a key third down in SB I for the Packers. He is still alive and a member of the Packers HOF. He was the victim of identity theft awhiie back. Unarguably one of the best blocking TEs of his era.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

RRMarshall wrote:Marv Fleming is one of those names to be lost in the files of history. The first player to earn 4 SB rings, two with GB and two
with Shula's Dolphins. He fit in perfectly with Shula's run-based offense...the first in history to have two 1,000-yard rushers in one season (Csonka-Morris in 1973). Fleming played on run downs, and the receiving TE Jim Mandich came in on passing downs which were rare for that team. But he could catch the ball, I recall him converting a key third down in SB I for the Packers. He is still alive and a member of the Packers HOF. He was the victim of identity theft awhiie back. Unarguably one of the best blocking TEs of his era.
Indeed. Dolphins running attack made a big improvement in 1970, and Fleming was the most significant change in the offense.

Fleming went to the Dolphins as a free agent. Packers agreed to Jack Clancy as compensation. Did not work out for the Pack, as they needed the receiver help and Clancy only lasted 1 year and 16 catches or so.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Jay Z wrote: Indeed. Dolphins running attack made a big improvement in 1970, and Fleming was the most significant change in the offense.
Adding Paul Warfield as a deep threat didn't hurt. ;)