HoF finalist list released

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Re: HoF finalist list released

Post by JohnTurney »

JohnH19 wrote:
JohnTurney wrote: I think Owens this year and Moss next.
I hope that's not the case, John. Moss is an all-time great...easily one of the top 10 WRs in history. Owens was never thought to be better, more consistent or more dangerous, so if only one goes in, it should be Moss. It would be a gross miscarriage of justice if the voting committee selects only Owens.
Moss may be seen is not a 1st ballot guy. https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yZdYXBhhLUM/ ... -25-08.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Lf9VlGCVIIg/ ... -27-19.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-J-T5cXwxEls/ ... -39-02.jpg
Ness

Post by Ness »

For the modern candidates I'd go:

Lewis
Moss
Owens
Fancea
Dawkins
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

all i will say is that it will be an interesting battle between moss and owens can we all agree on that
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

A 2001 article, John? Jerry Rice says Moss could be one of the greatest? Jerry was indeed the best but Randy doesn't look out of place at the next level.
Honestly, does anyone really think that Owens was Moss's equal?
I guess another logical question is; why can't they both go in this year?
Ness

Post by Ness »

JohnH19 wrote:A 2001 article, John? Jerry Rice says Moss could be one of the greatest? Jerry was indeed the best but Randy doesn't look out of place at the next level.
Honestly, does anyone really think that Owens was Moss's equal?
I guess another logical question is; why can't they both go in this year?
I thought both were on the same level and had just as big an impact. Would love to have either on my team.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Owens of course had the thing in Philly where he forced the team to suspend him. But other than that, he never quit. Played at a high level right through age 37, going 72-983-9 in 14 games. Moss quit on Minnesota, he quit on Oakland, he quit on the Patriots, then he was just done at 33.

Obviously Moss was the greater talent, Owens the bigger pain in the ass. But I wouldn't have a problem with the Hall rewarding the guy who played over the guy who quit.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:Owens of course had the thing in Philly where he forced the team to suspend him. But other than that, he never quit. Played at a high level right through age 37, going 72-983-9 in 14 games. Moss quit on Minnesota, he quit on Oakland, he quit on the Patriots, then he was just done at 33.

Obviously Moss was the greater talent, Owens the bigger pain in the ass. But I wouldn't have a problem with the Hall rewarding the guy who played over the guy who quit.
I agree, I still remeber that Minnesota game at Washington when Moss went into the locker room when there was time for a Hail Mary pass.

Owens was known as a locker room cancer, but as far as I know he didn't have off-the-field problems (Moss had one incident with a traffic agent).
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Of the offensive lineman elegible I like Faneca the most, not only for his outstanding career, but the thing that amazes me of him today is that he has lost at least 100 pounds from his playing days and ran the New Orleans Marathon with a good finishing time. If you look at him today you wouldn't believe he was a guard in the NFL.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Teo wrote:Of the offensive lineman elegible I like Faneca the most, not only for his outstanding career, but the thing that amazes me of him today is that he has lost at least 100 pounds from his playing days and ran the New Orleans Marathon with a good finishing time. If you look at him today you wouldn't believe he was a guard in the NFL.
There was a story on NFL Films Presents a few years back about some offensive lineman who, upon retiring from the NFL, hired a personal dietician and trainer and proceeded to shed (if I remember correctly) about 150 pounds over the course of 12 months thru diet and exercise because he knew the extra weight would lead to a shortened lifespan. He looked like a normal person, like 6-2 and normal weight for his height, like 160 pounds. I can't remember his name though. It's been probably ten years since I seen that episode and wonder how he is doing with the weight today.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

im Tired of people nitpicking on moss and owens