Thoughts on blocking TEs from the 1960's, 1970's & 1980's

Saban1

Re: Thoughts on blocking TEs from the 1960's, 1970's & 1980'

Post by Saban1 »

Ralph "Catfish" Smith was a reserve tight end during most of his career. He did get a lot of playing time with Cleveland in 1966 and 1967 due to injuries to Milt Morin. I wonder how he would have been rated as a blocker?
Evan

Post by Evan »

For the 1970s, Russ Francis and Dave Casper were repeatedly cited for their incredible blocking in magazines of the day. That kind of makes sense, considering that New England and Oakland always had great running attacks despite fairly pedestrian RBs.

On the other side of that 1970s coin, Pittsburgh and Miami always had great running attacks even thought their tight ends (Jim Mandich in Miami and Grossman/Cunningham in Pittsburgh) weren't known for blocking, but Franco, Bleier, Csonka, Morris, Kiick were exceptional backs who probably didn't need steamroller tight ends as much. Scary to think what they could have done if they had one.

I always wondered if the addition of a big TE could have helped the Vikings run the ball at all in the Super Bowls. Stu Voigt had great hands and was a reliable 3rd-down receiver, but I just don't think he helped them that much in the running game.

As for 1980s top blocking TEs, I believe Belichick has said that Bavaro was the best blocking TE he ever coached.
Elkman8102

Post by Elkman8102 »

How about Howard Cross and Mark Bruener.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Elkman8102 wrote:How about Howard Cross and Mark Bruener.
They are 90's players.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

NWebster wrote:I have this book from 1973, a really interesting book, though not entirely sure where they get their ratings from but they are interesting and they do break out run blocking. So in this they have the following as the top graded TE's of '73:

Charlie Sanders 4.4
Marv Fleming 4.3
Bob Tucker 4.3
Pettis Norman 4.3
Jim Mitchell 4.2
Ray Chester 4.1
John Mackey 4.1
Ted Kwalick 4.0
Milt Morin 4.0

So it supports that Mitchell was a tad better than Kwalik, but doesn't paint Kwalik as terrible. There are a number of other names in the 3's the worst I saw was Jan White at 3.0, interestingly Gene Fugett was 3.2.
Thanks, I was surprised to see Sanders list at #1, considering I've never read any definitive statements about his blocking. I guess that somewhat justifies his HOF selection (which I thought was weird). Also surprised to see Bob Tucker's name so high on the list as well. Jan White being the worst is interesting, considering how run-heavy those Bills offenses were. But it makes sense that White was out of the NFL after 1972 and the Bills replaced him with rookie Paul Seymour in 1973 (who I believe was an OT his senior year at Michigan).
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Um, Ditka?

Another favorite TE from that era is Billy Truax (on the 1971 Cowboys with Ditka).
But I have little idea how he rated as a blocker. Does anyone else?

Also, how was HoFer Jackie Smith as a blocker?
I remember him as more of a receiver...

Lastly, (and edited to add) how about HoVGer Jerry Smith?
Another 1960's guy I remember but not well.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

JuggernautJ wrote:Lastly, (and edited to add) how about HoVGer Jerry Smith?
As a kid, I remember a Football Digest article listing overrated players, and Jerry Smith made the list. Said he couldn't block. Smith was 6'3" 208, so a little undersized even for the time.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Jay Z wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:Lastly, (and edited to add) how about HoVGer Jerry Smith?
As a kid, I remember a Football Digest article listing overrated players, and Jerry Smith made the list. Said he couldn't block. Smith was 6'3" 208, so a little undersized even for the time.
What little I've read suggests that Smith was a prototype for the Kellen Winslow/Shannon Sharpe type of TE -- excellent receiver, but not much of a blocker.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JuggernautJ wrote:Um, Ditka?

Another favorite TE from that era is Billy Truax (on the 1971 Cowboys with Ditka).
But I have little idea how he rated as a blocker. Does anyone else?

Also, how was HoFer Jackie Smith as a blocker?
I remember him as more of a receiver...

Lastly, (and edited to add) how about HoVGer Jerry Smith?
Truax is interesting. He was a huge guy, especially for his era. The Rams had their own "baby bulls" thing going with Josephson and Larry Smith; Truax seemed to fit in to that power offense scheme.

I've read differing opinions on both Jackie Smith and John Mackey...some say they were great run blockers, others say they weren't all that interested in run blocking. I guess if you read enough stuff, you end up confusing yourself.

Historically, it seems like Ditka, Ron Kramer, Casper & Bavaro were universally-regarded as great blockers. Guys like Jerry Smith and Ozzie Newsome were regarded as 'receiving TEs' and not thought of highly as blockers, but I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate and perhaps just lazy analysis.

Anyone have thoughts on Riley Odoms?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jay Z wrote: Tom Mitchell's career didn't make a lot of sense to me. Started as a rookie in 1966 for the Raiders, #3 draft choice. Then they cut him the next year. Decided to play Billy Cannon more and Ken Herock came back to the team, I guess. Then a year on the taxi squad for the Colts. Finally beats out John Mackey, and they trade for Ray Chester when they could've used a WR more. Probably should have gotten Siani instead. Then he goes to the 49ers and beats out Kwalick. Mitchell only had 4 TD in his 4 years as a Niner though, that's not very good.
Yeah, strange that Mitchell would be an outright cut after starting his rookie year. I think he was the Colts most consistent pass catcher from 1970-1973, as the other pass targets seemed to come and go. Probably got caught up in Joe Thomas housecleaning and was sent away. I can't really blame the Colts for acquiring Chester...he was a top TE at the time and I'm not sure why the Raiders were so keen to trade Chester. I also can't really blame Mitchell for having only 4 TDs in 4 years with those Niners teams. Hard to rack up the stats when Scott Bull is throwing you passes.
Jay Z wrote:Does anyone think the trade to the Colts cost Ray Chester a shot at the HOF? He made the Pro Bowl his first three years. AFC All Pro. Then the trade to the Colts, who already had a TE, and his stats take a dive. Add some catches, touchdowns. Not hard to project 10 more touchdowns in Oakland. That gives him 58. Jerry Smith had 60, but was a poorly regarded blocker.
I would say yes, but Chester would probably need to be All Pro or surpass Charlie Sanders' rep during that time. I don't think an increase in numbers would put Chester in Canton.