Mark L. Ford

"Super Bowl question -- Coins" carryover

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Here's the text of a conversation from yesterday
Super Bowl question - Coins
Started by Rupert Patrick, October 11, 2014, 06:40 AM
#1 Super Bowl question - Coins: post #1 Rupert Patrick
Posted October 11, 2014, 06:40 AM
I couldn't find an answer to this online, but I am watching an old Super Bowl and was wondering what happens to the commemorative coins that are tossed at the Super Bowl. Have they always used a special coin for the toss? I seem to remember in Super Bowl XIII George Halas tossed the coin and they used a 1920 silver dollar, but in other cases was it a specially minted coin?

#2 Super Bowl question - Coins: post #2 Teo
Posted October 11, 2014, 08:47 AM
Yes, I recall in Super Bowl XVII that referee Jerry Markbreit had a special coin with helmets in one side and players with helmets in other side, and someway he mixed it, much to the disarray of Joe Theismann and Bob Kuechenberg. Fortunally, other offcial came to the rescue and everything turned out fine.

http://mentalfloss.c...-bowl-coin-toss

#3 Super Bowl question - Coins: post #3 Superbowlfanatic
Posted October 11, 2014, 05:31 PM
I believe from reports that I have read that the HOF gets and displays them. One story was that the tosser though to keep the coin for himself, and the NFL Rep had to scramble to retrieve the coin from him.

In the opening scenes of the SB X highlight video, NFL Films captured the Bicentennial coin toss in January 1976, when the Secretary of the Navy (I believe) tossed a specially minted large (like 5 inches in diameter) gold-type coin for Steelers/Cowboys.

#4 Super Bowl question - Coins: post #4 Rupert Patrick
Posted October 11, 2014, 06:23 PM
I don't know at what point the commemorative coin started, it might have been Super Bowl I, but I think Super Bowl XIII was the only time a US Mint coin was used.
oldecapecod11

Re: "Super Bowl question -- Coins" carryover

Post by oldecapecod11 »

BUMP (To avoid duplication)
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister