List of current PFRA HOVG enshrinees (?)

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

Re: List of current PFRA HOVG enshrinees (?)

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I checked all the coaches and noticed Ted Nesser is listed as Head Coach/Center. I've never read that his coaching warranted commendation and I believe he actually made his name as a halfback playing for Massillon.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I checked all the coaches and noticed Ted Nesser is listed as Head Coach/Center. I've never read that his coaching warranted commendation and I believe he actually made his name as a halfback playing for Massillon.

I noticed that. So, if Nesser and Howell are in the HOVG as players and coaches, then why not Saban? Lou Saban was also the team captain in most of the All-America Conference years for the Cleveland Browns.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

Saban wrote: Lou Saban played 4 years in the AAFC (1946-49) and was the best linebacker in that league. Proof of that is the fact that Lou was named all-league center as a special consideration twice (1948,1949) even though only offensive positions were used for all-pro teams at that time. Saban was the only linebacker in the AAFC to be honored like that. I believe that he was also named to an all-pro team or teams that included both the NFL and AAFC players.
A point of clarification. For the all-pro teams, they did not specify whether the person made it as an offensive player, defensive player or a combination of both.

For our upcoming AAFC Encyclopedia, Andy Piascik, Matt Reaser and I went through and selected all-pro and all-conference teams for all positions (offensive team, defensive team and special teams) to take care of that issue. Saban made it all four years as linebacker and made it to the all-conference team, but was not always the best linebacker each year.

I will review with the HOVG committee on adding player status to his coaching status.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Ken Crippen wrote:
Saban wrote: Lou Saban played 4 years in the AAFC (1946-49) and was the best linebacker in that league. Proof of that is the fact that Lou was named all-league center as a special consideration twice (1948,1949) even though only offensive positions were used for all-pro teams at that time. Saban was the only linebacker in the AAFC to be honored like that. I believe that he was also named to an all-pro team or teams that included both the NFL and AAFC players.
A point of clarification. For the all-pro teams, they did not specify whether the person made it as an offensive player, defensive player or a combination of both.

For our upcoming AAFC Encyclopedia, Andy Piascik, Matt Reaser and I went through and selected all-pro and all-conference teams for all positions (offensive team, defensive team and special teams) to take care of that issue. Saban made it all four years as linebacker and made it to the all-conference team, but was not always the best linebacker each year.

I will review with the HOVG committee on adding player status to his coaching status.

Thanks Ken.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

I don't think that Lou Saban was the best linebacker in the All-America Conference each and every year that the AAFC was in existence (1946-49), but I do believe that Saban was the best overall. In fact, I think that Marion Motley was probably the best linebacker in that league in 1946, even though he was more well known as a great fullback.

Apparently, Lou Saban was the best linebacker in the AAFC in both 1948 and 1949 when he was named All-League Center, special consideration, by the United Press and other press groups. As said before, no other linebacker was given this honor during those years.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Lou Saban's position of linebacker for the Cleveland Browns (1946-49) has been added to his HOVG listing. I thank Ken Crippen and the HOVG Committee for their quick action in this regard.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Saban wrote:I think that Marion Motley was probably the best linebacker in that league in 1946, even though he was more well known as a great fullback.
I'm glad you were able to get this change made. Did Motley ever play defense full-time? I recall reading he played LB in goaline situations.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
Saban wrote:I think that Marion Motley was probably the best linebacker in that league in 1946, even though he was more well known as a great fullback.
I'm glad you were able to get this change made. Did Motley ever play defense full-time? I recall reading he played LB in goaline situations.

Thanks.

Marion Motley was the main left linebacker for Cleveland in 1946 and maybe 1947. Tony Adamle joined the Browns in 1947 and eventually became the starting left linebacker for Cleveland, but Motley still played a lot at left linebacker in 1947, I think. Gaylon Smith backed up Motley at fullback in 1946 and got some good playing time that year with 62 carries for 240 yards. I think that Smith also backed up Motley at left linebacker that year. Gaylon Smith retired after the 1946 season.