Tommy Nobis

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Tommy Nobis

Post by Ken Crippen »

Falconfan58 has asked me to post this case for Tommy Nobis for the PFHOF.

http://kencrippen.com/Research/TN.pdf
bachslunch

Re: Tommy Nobis

Post by bachslunch »

Ken Crippen wrote:Falconfan58 has asked me to post this case for Tommy Nobis for the PFHOF.

Thanks for posting.

My thinking is that Tommy Nobis (2/5/60s) was well on his way to a clear HoF career when injuries derailed him. I would at this point rank him among Senior eligible MLBs/ILBs behind Randy Gradishar and Bill Bergey and about even with Lee Roy Jordan. He's also at a position which for its period is badly glutted -- I'd sooner put in about 7 Senior eligible OLBs before Nobis (Howley, Baughan, Brazile, Fortunato, Grantham, Forester, and Stratton for sure).
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

bachslunch wrote:
Ken Crippen wrote:Falconfan58 has asked me to post this case for Tommy Nobis for the PFHOF.

Thanks for posting.

My thinking is that Tommy Nobis (2/5/60s) was well on his way to a clear HoF career when injuries derailed him. I would at this point rank him among Senior eligible MLBs/ILBs behind Randy Gradishar and Bill Bergey and about even with Lee Roy Jordan. He's also at a position which for its period is badly glutted -- I'd sooner put in about 7 Senior eligible OLBs before Nobis (Howley, Baughan, Brazile, Fortunato, Grantham, Forester, and Stratton for sure).
I agree that Nobis was a clear HOFer until injuries limited his mobility. I think Nobis was "better" than Bergey (and Jordan for that matter), but Bergey was more effective later in his career. Its an interesting debate. I'd put Nobis in before Jordan, Fortunato, Grantham, Forester and Stratton, but I wouldn't really put in any of those guys, either. I will be very surprised if Tommy Nobis makes the HOF at this point, although I was very surprised when Harry Carson made it.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Bryan wrote:
bachslunch wrote:

Thanks for posting.

I agree that Nobis was a clear HOFer until injuries limited his mobility. I think Nobis was "better" than Bergey (and Jordan for that matter), but Bergey was more effective later in his career. Its an interesting debate. I'd put Nobis in before Jordan, Fortunato, Grantham, Forester and Stratton, but I wouldn't really put in any of those guys, either. I will be very surprised if Tommy Nobis makes the HOF at this point, although I was very surprised when Harry Carson made it.
It never hurts your HOF chances to play for the Giants.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

SixtiesFan wrote:
Bryan wrote:I will be very surprised if Tommy Nobis makes the HOF at this point, although I was very surprised when Harry Carson made it.
It never hurts your HOF chances to play for the Giants.
In Carson's case, I think it helped a lot that he became a finalist early enough in his candidacy to have his case "marinate" a good while. Though there are exceptions (Charlie Conerly, Johnny Robinson, perhaps Jerry Kramer if he's refused yet again), hanging around on the ballot a good while often gets a player in eventually (Lynn Swann, Jack Youngblood, Ron Yary, Tom Mack, Carl Eller, etc.).
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Bryan wrote:
bachslunch wrote:My thinking is that Tommy Nobis (2/5/60s) was well on his way to a clear HoF career when injuries derailed him. I would at this point rank him among Senior eligible MLBs/ILBs behind Randy Gradishar and Bill Bergey and about even with Lee Roy Jordan. He's also at a position which for its period is badly glutted -- I'd sooner put in about 7 Senior eligible OLBs before Nobis (Howley, Baughan, Brazile, Fortunato, Grantham, Forester, and Stratton for sure).
Agreed, lots of interesting nuance here. Does the high peak for a really short time take precedence over a longer career with a longer (and strong) but lesser peak (vs. Bergey)? Or a really long career with even less, but still some reasonable level of peak (vs. Jordan)? Should there be more OLBs in instead (vs. some the rest)? As if this exercise weren't hard enough as it is.

I'll be surprised if any of them get in, agreed. Best chances are probably for the Brazile/Howley/Baughan group. Will be surprised if they go lower on the OLB depth chart than this.
falconfan58

Post by falconfan58 »

Please read the attachment I sent to Ken Crippen,I think it states why Nobis should already be in the HOF.When HOF players say how good you were on the field,mainly Dick Butkus considered to be one of the the best MLBs in NFL history and a member of the NFLs 75th anniversary team,that means something.He was one of 5 players name to the all 60s team at linebacker. The ones I really believe should have already voted in are Fortunato and Brazile(an OLB)named to the all 50s and 70s teams.