List of current PFRA HOVG enshrinees (?)

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Bryan

List of current PFRA HOVG enshrinees (?)

Post by Bryan »

Does anyone have a list of the current PFRA HOVG enshrinees?
Bryan

Re: List of current PFRA HOVG enshrinees (?)

Post by Bryan »

Thanks Ken. I tried to create a 'positional breakdown' of the current members to see which groups were under-represented. It was more of an inexact science than I thought it would be...I tried to use general position terms and some of the pre-1960 players were lumped in with WRs & RBs. I tried to separate the OLBs from the ILB/MLBs and the FSs from the SSs, and also have the multi-position players counted for their 'main' position of note. Let me know if you see any inaccuracies. Here is the breakdown:

127 total HOVG Members

QBs - 12 (includes old guys like Friedman, Isbell, and Spec Sanders)
RBs - 15 (HBs and FBs lumped together)
WRs - 20 (includes Cappeletti, 1950's ends, and Lavvie Dilweg)
TEs - 2 (Jerry Smith and Pete Retzlaff)
Cs - 2
Gs - 16 (includes Ox Emerson & Riley Matheson)
OTs - 7
DEs - 9
DTs - 7 (includes Bob Gain and Joe Klecko)
OLBs - 10 (includes Mike Curtis)
ILB/MLBs - 3
CBs - 6
SS - 2
FS - 8
Head Coach - 7
Last edited by Bryan on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Thanks Bryan. Emerson was a guard - not sure why HOVG has him at Center as well - every Spartans/Lions box score I've seen has him at guard. Maybe Center is underrepresented - 2 seems really low given that it includes the two-way era. SS also has 2, but that wasn't a position in the two-way era - those guys would be counted as backs.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Should/does the population of the HoVG mirror/compensate for the under-representation in the HoF?

Perhaps "we" have 10 OLBs and only 3 MLBs because the Hall of Fame has the Middle Linebacker position over-represented?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Thanks Bryan. Emerson was a guard - not sure why HOVG has him at Center as well - every Spartans/Lions box score I've seen has him at guard. Maybe Center is underrepresented - 2 seems really low given that it includes the two-way era. SS also has 2, but that wasn't a position in the two-way era - those guys would be counted as backs.
Thanks...I've edited my list to show Emerson as a G. The HOVG listed him as C-G-LB, so it was probably just me choosing the incorrect 'main' position for Emerson.

I do agree that C seems underrepresented in the HOVG, as it seems to be underrepresented in the actual HOF as well. SS is a bit trickier...more of a specialized position that doesn't usually rack up sacks/INTs and also seems to have a short shelf-life.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JuggernautJ wrote:Should/does the population of the HoVG mirror/compensate for the under-representation in the HoF?

Perhaps "we" have 10 OLBs and only 3 MLBs because the Hall of Fame has the Middle Linebacker position over-represented?
I agree with this. So many MLBs and so relatively few OLBs are in the HOF, that I think the HOVG does a good job of representing the 'underserved', so to speak. I think the same line of thinking holds true to some degree for the larger amount of OGs in the HOVG when compared to OTs.

That said, I think TE is underrepresented in the HOVG. Perhaps its because TE receiving stats usually pale in comparison to WR stats, or the fact that some TEs are only great for a couple years then fall off the map, or that the attribute of 'blocking' is somewhat subjective. Either way, I think its interesting that Jerry Smith is really the only modern era TE in the HOVG. Would a guy like Riley Odoms, who put up a 40-600-5 statline for 10 years, be a worthy HOVG candidate?

C also appears to be underrepresented in the HOVG. Do guys like Rich Saul, Jeff Van Note & Doug Smith deserve a look?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

That said, I think TE is underrepresented in the HOVG. Perhaps its because TE receiving stats usually pale in comparison to WR stats, or the fact that some TEs are only great for a couple years then fall off the map, or that the attribute of 'blocking' is somewhat subjective. Either way, I think its interesting that Jerry Smith is really the only modern era TE in the HOVG. Would a guy like Riley Odoms, who put up a 40-600-5 statline for 10 years, be a worthy HOVG candidate?
Todd Christensen was on the ballot this year... and got my vote.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I like Ralph Waldsmith at Center - one of the stars of the pre-NFL era and I think better than Peck and Des Jardien.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

I noticed that Lou Saban is listed in the HOVG as just a coach. I believe that he should be in as a linebacker as well as a coach. In fact, I nominated Saban so he would be recognized as the great player that he was as well as a head coach.

Lou Saban played 4 years in the AAFC (1946-49) and was the best linebacker in that league. Proof of that is the fact that Lou was named all-league center as a special consideration twice (1948,1949) even though only offensive positions were used for all-pro teams at that time. Saban was the only linebacker in the AAFC to be honored like that. I believe that he was also named to an all-pro team or teams that included both the NFL and AAFC players.

I noticed that former Giants head coach Jim Lee Howell has been named to the HOVG as an end as well as a head coach. I believe that there would be some justice to have Lou Saban honored the same way as a linebacker as well as a head coach.