HoF preliminary list released

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
bachslunch

HoF preliminary list released

Post by bachslunch »

QUARTERBACKS (5) – Randall Cunningham, Rich Gannon, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Phil Simms.

RUNNING BACKS (10) – Tiki Barber, Earnest Byner, Roger Craig, Corey Dillon, Eddie George, Edgerrin James, Lorenzo Neal, Fred Taylor, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters.

WIDE RECEIVERS (13) – Isaac Bruce, Donald Driver, Henry Ellard, Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Steve Smith, John Taylor, Hines Ward.

TIGHT ENDS (4) – Mark Bavaro, Ben Coates, Ferrell Edmunds, Jay Novacek.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN (21) – Willie Anderson, Matt Birk, Tony Boselli, Lomas Brown, Ruben Brown, Ray Donaldson, Alan Faneca, Bill Fralic, Jay Hilgenberg, Chris Hinton, Kent Hull, Steve Hutchinson, Joe Jacoby, Mike Kenn Kevin Mawae, Tom Nalen, Nate Newton, Bart Oates, Jeff Saturday, Richmond Webb, Steve Wisniewski.

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (11) – La’Roi Glover, Leonard Marshall, Keith Millard, Leslie O’Neal, Michael Dean Perry, Simeon Rice, Richard Seymour, Neil Sith, Greg Townsend, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Bryant Young.

LINEBACKERS (15) – Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Brucshi, Seth Joyner, Ray Lewis, Greg Lloyd, Wilber Marshall, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Joey Porter, Darryl Talley, Zach Thomas, Brian Urlacher.

DEFENSIVE BACKS (12) – Eric Allen, Steve Atwater, Ronde Barber, LeRoy Butler, Brian Dawkins, Rodney Harrison, Ty Law, Albert Lewis, John Lynch, Dennis Smith, Everson Walls, Darren Woodson.

KICKERS/PUNTERS (3) – Gary Anderson, Sean Landeta, Nick Lowery.

SPECIAL TEAMS (2) – Brian Mitchell, Steve Tasker.

COACHES (12) – Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil.

The preliminary list of candidates. Some dopey additions, as always (the other WR Steve Smith, anyone?). But as Jeremy said on another thread, looks like somebody's moms have been busy nominating.

Mostly a decent list, though -- even Richmond Webb, who if memory serves has always been omitted in past, finally made it on. Irving Fryar, Derrick Mason, Muhsin Muhammad, or Keenan McCardell would of course be better options than the NYG Smith or John Taylor, though they weren't getting in anyway. The only other omissions I noticed were Ray Childress and Pat Swilling, but again they're not going to be elected.
Gary Najman

Re: HoF preliminary list released

Post by Gary Najman »

I think is a disgrace that Steve Smith (the WR who played for the Giants, Eagles and Rams from 2007-2012) that was selected to the preliminary list, while at the top of my head there are at least 30 eligible wide receivers (and at least 30 from other positions) who should have made it (Hopefully, they didn't mix it with the other Steve Smith, who isn't eligible yeat, and he is at least deserving to be a semifinalist).

I know he won't be selected, but as Peter King once wrote that they (the voters) are also responsable for this kind of lists (eligible player, but never going to advance even to the semifinal list), they should have checked all the facts.
Last edited by Gary Najman on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Another player whom I would never select to this list is Kyle Vanden Bosch, but at least he made three Pro Bowls in his 12-year career, and it was one of my favorite players to watch when he was with Tennessee.
Last edited by Gary Najman on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I read on another board that maybe a fan nominated Steve Smith since its a pretty odd nomination. I think one just needs to write a letter to the HOF and as long as the player has been retired more than 5 years, he's nominated. Guessing this may not work the same for senior candidates. I'd be behind PFRA doing a group letter. The first four could be Lavvie Dilweg, Duke Slater, Mac Speedie, and Al Wistert.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Teo wrote:I think is a disgrace that Steve Smith (the WR who played for the Giabnts, Eagles and Rams from 2007-2012) that was selected to the preliminary list, while at the top of my head there are at least 30 eligible wide receivers (and at least 30 from other positions) who should have made it (Hopefully, they didn't mix it with the other Steve Smith, who isn't eligible yeat, and he is at least deserving to be a semifinalist).

I know he won't be selected, but as Peter King once wrote that they (the voters) are also responsable for this kind of lists (eligible player, but never going to advance even to the semifinal list), they should have checked all the facts.
Then next year, nominate them. Anybody can nominate any eligible player, and they appear on the preliminary list. There's nothing disgraceful about it, because there is no decision involved by the HoF or the selectors.
TanksAndSpartans

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:Anybody can nominate any eligible player, and they appear on the preliminary list.
This is exactly what I read today. But what if I nominate a player from the 20s? Would they ignore it because senior nominations are separate?
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I don't think that list is quite long enough.
JWL

Post by JWL »

I will nominate someone next year and see what happens.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I read on another board that maybe a fan nominated Steve Smith since its a pretty odd nomination. I think one just needs to write a letter to the HOF and as long as the player has been retired more than 5 years, he's nominated. Guessing this may not work the same for senior candidates. I'd be behind PFRA doing a group letter. The first four could be Lavvie Dilweg, Duke Slater, Mac Speedie, and Al Wistert.
For the seniors, just send a letter to the HOF to have them added to the list of nominees. The list goes out to the selectors the end of May, so have your letter in before then.
TanksAndSpartans

Very Cool - thanks Ken.
Ken Crippen wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:For the seniors, just send a letter to the HOF to have them added to the list of nominees. The list goes out to the selectors the end of May, so have your letter in before then.