Dwight Clark: HoVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

Dwight Clark: HoVG?

Post by JuggernautJ »

The HoVG Ballots are on their way and before we vote I'd like to discuss the case for Dwight Clark and "our Hall."

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... arDw00.htm

I doubt Clark was ever the best receiver at any point during his career (hence not HoF material) but he did lead the NFL in receptions in 1982, his only All-Pro year. Also he was the best receiver (apologies to Freddie Solomon) on two NFL Champion teams and a founding member of the 49ers "dynasty," the team of the 80's.
And, of course, his best moment is the signature moment of that dynasty: "The Catch."

I nominated Dwight Clark (and was very surprised to see him as a Finalist) so I feel I should speak for him.

For nine seasons Clark was a very good player: consistent, dependable and efficient in a league where that isn't easy. He was a leading target for Joe Montana and played a significant part in bring San Francisco their first two NFL championships.
And he is about as famous in his home-team town as one can be without being a "Super Star."
If the Hall of Fame were (only) a popularity contest he might already be enshrined.

I think Dwight Clark is a very borderline player... a justifiable case could be made for inclusion or exclusion.
I'd like to get others' opinions about on which side of that border Clark belongs.

Lastly, with his illness, if we were ever going to "enshrine" him now would be the time, while he might derive some small measure of satisfaction for the recognition.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Dwight Clark: HoVG?

Post by ChrisBabcock »

He is definitely HOVG-worthy because of all the above listed reasons. Actually, I nominated him last year. I'd have to see the list of final 20 again for this year to be sure, but I think he's not in my group of 10 votes this year just because I think we have such a strong group of 20 nominees. If we were voting for 12, then maybe. :)
L.C. Greenwood

Re: Dwight Clark: HoVG?

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

JuggernautJ wrote:The HoVG Ballots are on their way and before we vote I'd like to discuss the case for Dwight Clark and "our Hall."

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... arDw00.htm

I doubt Clark was ever the best receiver at any point during his career (hence not HoF material) but he did lead the NFL in receptions in 1982, his only All-Pro year. Also he was the best receiver (apologies to Freddie Solomon) on two NFL Champion teams and a founding member of the 49ers "dynasty," the team of the 80's.
And, of course, his best moment is the signature moment of that dynasty: "The Catch."

I nominated Dwight Clark (and was very surprised to see him as a Finalist) so I feel I should speak for him.

For nine seasons Clark was a very good player: consistent, dependable and efficient in a league where that isn't easy. He was a leading target for Joe Montana and played a significant part in bring San Francisco their first two NFL championships.
And he is about as famous in his home-team town as one can be without being a "Super Star."
If the Hall of Fame were (only) a popularity contest he might already be enshrined.

I think Dwight Clark is a very borderline player... a justifiable case could be made for inclusion or exclusion.
I'd like to get others' opinions about on which side of that border Clark belongs.

Lastly, with his illness, if we were ever going to "enshrine" him now would be the time, while he might derive some small measure of satisfaction for the recognition.

Injuries really short-circuited Clark's career, reducing his effectiveness while on the field as well. He missed out on the 1988 and 1989 Niners SB teams, I think a more healthy Clark would have played longer, and put up better numbers. He was a big receiver, minus the physical strength we normally associate with a player of his size. Wasn't fast or elusive, and Clark took plenty of hits. Just shy of Canton, in my opinion.