Vikings make push to get Jim Marshall into Pro Football Hall

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Vikings make push to get Jim Marshall into Pro Football Hall

Post by JohnTurney »

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-make ... 431149933/

Vikings make push to get Jim Marshall into Pro Football Hall of Fame

At it again. It's this kind of thing (local push) that got us Floyd Little... Denver people pushed "The Franchise" thing...which was not really a thing at the time...it was overblown...and it led to odd stats and Little getting in.

Hope it doesn't happen again.
rewing84

Re: Vikings make push to get Jim Marshall into Pro Football

Post by rewing84 »

1 big difference marshall played longer than little and went to 4 super bowls but if they are doing that shouldnt houston do that for robert brazile
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

rewing84 wrote:1 big difference marshall played longer than little and went to 4 super bowls but if they are doing that shouldnt houston do that for robert brazile
Not sure if it necessarily factors in, but the Tennessee Titans probably won't expend a great deal of energy for someone who never played for that portion of the franchise, and there's no reason for the Texans to do it.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Okay, for the sake of argument here... Jackie Slater got in on the first ballot. 0/0/7. (Slater... Jackie Slater.) Is Marshall that much worse a pick than Slater? Started every game for 19 straight years... aaaaaand that's about it in terms of qualifications.

I don't think either Brazile or Little enter the conversation. Brazile was actually, you know, good, and I think enough has been said about Little that he shouldn't be a part of any conversation moving forward.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:Okay, for the sake of argument here... Jackie Slater got in on the first ballot. 0/0/7. (Slater... Jackie Slater.) Is Marshall that much worse a pick than Slater? Started every game for 19 straight years... aaaaaand that's about it in terms of qualifications.

I don't think either Brazile or Little enter the conversation. Brazile was actually, you know, good, and I think enough has been said about Little that he shouldn't be a part of any conversation moving forward.
Slater has a profile of 4/7/none, and I have no idea how Jimbo Covert made the 80s all decade team over him. Note that Slater's four 1st team all pro selections are not AP, but I feel are just as legit as AP ones. Marshall's profile is 0/2/none, which is far worse -- no organization ever picked him as 1st team all pro. I'm fine with Slater being in, but not Marshall.

Brazile (5/7/70s) should absolutely also be in.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:Okay, for the sake of argument here... Jackie Slater got in on the first ballot. 0/0/7. (Slater... Jackie Slater.) Is Marshall that much worse a pick than Slater?
Yes.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

As has been pointed out before, the last few years of his career, Marshall started the first series so that he could keep his streak alive--and then stayed on the bench for pretty much the rest of the game.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

As I recall, it used to be said campaigning for a player to get in the Hall of Fame was counterproductive. The selectors would supposedly resent it.