13. TROY AIKMAN
14. WARREN MOON
15. JIM KELLY
16. ELI MANNING
JuggernautJ

Re: The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1

Post by JuggernautJ »

Voted on by:
Pete Carroll, Tony Dungy, Mike Holmgren, Howard Mudd, Wade Phillips, Mike Reinfeldt, Ray Rhodes, Mike Shanahan, Al Saunders and Norv Turner
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Overall I think it's a pretty good list (1-3 are no-brainers). Elway and Aaron Rodgers are very close. Elway gets the nod for now with 2 Super bowl wins and a record of 5-1 in conference championship games.

Panelists received an information packet with stats and career accolades
I would be curious to know if ESPN took another"AP Only" approach with regard to recognizing all-pro selections and post-season honors ...

"John Elway can beat you in more ways than any quarterback who ever lived."
- Sid Gillman (NFL Films soundbite from 1987)
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnTurney wrote:http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2009 ... n-era-2017

The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1978

1. TOM BRADY
2. PEYTON MANNING
3. JOE MONTANA
4. JOHN ELWAY
5. AARON RODGERS
T-6. DAN MARINO
T-6. BRETT FAVRE
8. STEVE YOUNG
9. DREW BREES
10. DAN FOUTS
T-11. BEN ROETHLISBERGER
T-11. KURT WARNER
13. TROY AIKMAN
14. WARREN MOON
15. JIM KELLY
16. ELI MANNING
Can't really argue with the list. That is exactly how I would rank them. Some comments:

*I think looking at the totality of careers, Brady and Manning are head and shoulders above everyone else.
*I've always thought that Elway leading a talentless Bronco offense to 3 Super Bowls in the 80's was more impressive than back-to-back SB wins in the 90's.
*Favre accomplished a lot with somewhat average WRs throughout his career and IMO is somewhat underrated, but having seen him and Rodgers over the years, I have to say that Rodgers is consistently better than Favre.
*I was never a big fan of his, and his peak is somewhat short for a HOF QB, but Steve Young had some incredible statistical years with the Niners.
*Fouts might be the most controversial ranking at 10, but he did set the single season yardage record for 3 consecutive years...possibly the greatest QB feat in NFL history.
*Glad to see Roethlisberger and Warner over Aikman.
*Moon was really good...those Oilers teams made no sense. I would watch Oiler games where Moon would be throwing passes on seemingly every play, the ball would never touch the ground, and at the end of the game the Oilers would have lost 23-21 or something like that.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Any great list can be nit-picked but this list is rather solid with limited argument potential. Will say though, even as a Steeler-fan, not completely sure about Ben over Aikman. Like I stated before, Troy was in a more run-oriented offense. Leading a more pass-happy attack, career numbers would be looked back upon along with his leadership and accuracy (even if at the possible expense of Rings). Ben should break the tie vs Warner if only because of that 'doughnut hole' in Kurt's career (w Giants) between Rams & Cards.

Top 3 is what it should be only I'd have Joe at #1. I've had Brady/Manning tied for the longest time but I think it may be time to follow the example of many of you on this site and surrender/give Brady the nod (we'll see). Warren Moon low on this list I'm guessing is due to his lack of playoff wins. If not for his last name, and beating Pats in 2 SBs, is Eli on this list?

Who are your top-3, since-'78, QBs not on this list?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

My current post-1978 top 20. I could change my mind on some of this tomorrow. :)

1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. Peyton Manning
4. John Elway
5. Dan Marino
6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Brett Favre
8. Steve Young
9. Jim Kelly
10. Drew Brees
11. Warren Moon
12. Dan Fouts
13. Troy Aikman
14. Kurt Warner
15. Ben Roethlisberger
16. Phil Simms
17. Randall Cunningham
18. Eli Manning
19. Donovan McNabb
20. Steve McNair
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:My current post-1978 top 20. I could change my mind on some of this tomorrow. :)

1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. Peyton Manning
4. John Elway
5. Dan Marino
6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Brett Favre
8. Steve Young
9. Jim Kelly
10. Drew Brees
11. Warren Moon
12. Dan Fouts
13. Troy Aikman
14. Kurt Warner
15. Ben Roethlisberger
16. Phil Simms
17. Randall Cunningham
18. Eli Manning
19. Donovan McNabb
20. Steve McNair
Pretty nice list! Yeah, as much as I loved Favre and his style of play (and wishing he won more than just one SB), I'd have to place Marino above him. I'd place Marino above Aaron Rodgers as well (for now). For quite some time I had either Dan above Elway or both at even; but I'd have to go Elway over Dan - this even if John would have hung 'em up after '96 (loss to Jags). Yes, those things he did in '80s with the relative lack of talent around him; and conservative coaching...
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Eli Manning doesn't belong on this list. I'd take Philip Rivers over him, Carson Palmer over him.... I see Eli as being more of a Matt Hasselbeck kind of guy.

But then again, he did lead the Giants to the two of the lowest scoring offensive Super Bowl performances by a winning team since the 1970's. Being the leader of the offense on the team with the Super Bowl winning defense has to be worth something, right?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I don't think the voters were entirely objective; many of those coaches had a "horse in this race."
I'm sorry but I don't believe Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren or Norv Turner can be totally unbiased about "their guys."

And I say again that we're too close to their playing time to judge current/just retired players (Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc). Perspective counts.

So, I won't do a whole list but I will state I firmly believe it should start with 1a and 1b as Montana/Brady (in any order you choose). Then comes everybody else.