Buffalo

Moran

Buffalo

Post by Moran »

Just read the thread about the next PFRA meeting in Buffalo. There have been some great vintage Buffalo football items for sale recently on eBay and I did buy one program of particular interest to me along with a promotional flyer

Here's another - I did not buy this one

rhickok1109

Re: Buffalo

Post by rhickok1109 »

"Happy" Moran? I don't think I've ever seen him called that before. Is that where "Hap" came from?
Moran

Post by Moran »

The story I heard was that the nickname was for Happy Hooligan and then shorted to Hap - his mother always called him Dayle. The Carnegie Wonder Eleven was probably the 1926 team that handed Notre Dame their only defeat that year, one of the biggest upsets in football history according to ESPN. My father played for Carnegie only in 1922 when they lost to Notre Dame 19 - 0 - no wonder there.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Moran wrote:The story I heard was that the nickname was for Happy Hooligan and then shorted to Hap - his mother always called him Dayle. The Carnegie Wonder Eleven was probably the 1926 team that handed Notre Dame their only defeat that year, one of the biggest upsets in football history according to ESPN. My father played for Carnegie only in 1922 when they lost to Notre Dame 19 - 0 - no wonder there.
Ah, but Rockne coached the team in 1922. In 1926, he took Carnegie Tech so lightly that he missed the game. He was in Chicago, trying to schedule games with Big 10 teams, and he left his assistant, Hunk Anderson, in charge.