Your Unpopular Football Opinions

JuggernautJ

Re: Your Unpopular Football Opinions

Post by JuggernautJ »

MatthewToy wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote: Except the 1984 Steelers were 9-7, not 12-4. Yet they somehow beat the 49ers in San Francisco that season.
Its a sad, sad story:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9839 ... ted-season
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

MatthewToy wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
CSKreager wrote:The 1991 Denver Broncos were the worst 12-4 team to ever reach the AFC-CG.

Those Dan Reeves teams were basically Elway, the Mile High Stadium mystique, and not much else.
Yeah, it would be between them and the 1984 Steelers. I would give the 84 Steelers an edge as far as being worse because the 91 Broncos had a real good defense, and the Steelers needed a miracle to get in the playoffs.
Except the 1984 Steelers were 9-7, not 12-4. Yet they somehow beat the 49ers in San Francisco that season.
It was the 1989 Steelers which needed a miracle to make the playoffs as a wildcard team, the 1984 version won the AFC Central. That team beat the 13-3 Broncos in Denverin the postseason before falling in Miami in the AFC TG.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

L.C. Greenwood wrote:It was the 1989 Steelers which needed a miracle to make the playoffs as a wildcard team, the 1984 version won the AFC Central. That team beat the 13-3 Broncos in Denverin the postseason before falling in Miami in the AFC TG.
Though the '84 Steelers narrowly missed finishing 8-8, which would have given the Central to Cincy. Pittsburgh picked off a pass just past midfield in the season finale with slightly over two minutes left to seal a 13-7 win. NFL Films did a segment that showed Sam Wyche and his players watching the latter part of the Raiders-Steelers game at his home, capturing the moment of disappointment.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
CSKreager wrote:The 1991 Denver Broncos were the worst 12-4 team to ever reach the AFC-CG.

Those Dan Reeves teams were basically Elway, the Mile High Stadium mystique, and not much else.
Yeah, it would be between them and the 1984 Steelers. I would give the 84 Steelers an edge as far as being worse because the 91 Broncos had a real good defense, and the Steelers needed a miracle to get in the playoffs.
I would think the 1989 Browns would have to rate as one of the very weakest teams to reach the AFC title game.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
James

Post by James »

The 1958 NFL Title Game was NOT the greatest game ever played. Far from it, in my opinion.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

James wrote:The 1958 NFL Title Game was NOT the greatest game ever played. Far from it, in my opinion.
Personally I would opt for the 1981 Chargers Dolphins playoff game.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
James

Post by James »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
James wrote:The 1958 NFL Title Game was NOT the greatest game ever played. Far from it, in my opinion.
May have to agree with you on that. I would also add the 1938 & 1950 Title Games.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:

I would think the 1989 Browns would have to rate as one of the very weakest teams to reach the AFC title game.
Yes. They were a few plays away from 6-10. They should have made the playoffs in 1991 (Belichick's first year), not 1989.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

James wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:
May have to agree with you on that. I would also add the 1938 & 1950 Title Games.
Among games I have seen, I would go with 1981 Chargers Dolphins number one, 1979 Dallas Washington Week 16 number 2. Don't know about number 3, maybe the Steelers Cardinals Super Bowl, or the Sea of Hands game. I have game film of the 1938 and 1950 Championship games so I have "seen" both games, and both were classics.

I do think the 1979 Dallas Washington Week 16 game is the greatest regular season game of all time, when you look at the stakes of the game, the historical implications, and the game that played out, but I would love to hear arguments for other games.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
I do think the 1979 Dallas Washington Week 16 game is the greatest regular season game of all time, when you look at the stakes of the game, the historical implications, and the game that played out, but I would love to hear arguments for other games.
Redskins-Raiders 1983 would be on my short list. That should have been the Super Bowl.