Your Unpopular Football Opinions

Gary Najman

Re: Your Unpopular Football Opinions

Post by Gary Najman »

I also may be in the minority, but I've always preferred Monday Night games over their Sunday Night counterparts. Why?

- Because usually Monday Nights I can watch the whole game, and many times in the cinema or at a bar with friends.
- Because on Sunday Nights (when I finally get home after going out with the family or shopping) I also try to watch the highlights and/or the results of the other Sunday games. Usually I pick up the game after halftime.
- The marquee game IMHO should be on Monday Night instead of Sunday NIght.
- I also don't like Thursday Night games EVERY week (I'm fine with Thanksgiving and a couple more like ABC did in the 80s).
- I also miss Saturday games the last two weeks of the season (usually there were good matchups).
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Also on Sunday night you're kind of saturated after having just watched a full afternoon of football.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Tony Dungy is absolutely not a Hall of Famer and it's a joke that he's in there, despite the W/L record. If anything he underachieved with the Colts and it took Gruden to finish the job in Tampa. Dungy joined Tampa just as the talent he had no hand in acquiring began to gel. Then he parachutes to the Colts and is essentially the assistant coach to Peyton Manning.

The Bucs of that period was Monte Kiffin, the Colts were Peyton Manning & Tom Moore.

I understand being critical of the pious Dungy is frowned upon in NFL circles but he always struck me as average in every way as a coach.

The Giants win over Buffalo in Super Bowl 25 was more impressive than their win over New England in Super Bowl 43. The Patriots were sputtering at that point. The Chargers with a bit of luck could've had them in the title game. Even Jax gave them some trouble the week before. They even struggled mightily to beat my awful Jets in week 15 with Brady having a poor game.

4pm games are better than 1pm games...nothing like watching football in the autumn and winter as the sun sets and it gets darker.

The Carolina Panthers have ugly, outdated mid 90's uniforms. Those shades of blue/silver/black do not go together and their. Their blue socks look ridiculous and wimpy.

Steve Young was a good QB, but benefited greatly from what was already in place in SF. I don't put him among the elites.

Wayne Fontes, however beleaguered, was a good NFL head coach.

Norv Turner deserves one more chance. And Rex Ryan deserves one as well with a top 10 QB. Despite his buffoonish I don't think people give him enough credit for the 4 road playoff victories with the brainless Mark Sanchez at QB and no real pass rushers either. His 8-8 job with what should've been a 3-13 2013 Jets was impressive as well. He didn't do a bad job in Buffalo either.

Bill Callahan should've gotten another head coaching job a long time ago.
LJP

Post by LJP »

The Super Bowl halftime show needs to be replaced by 12 minutes of historical football footage.

Super Bowl in Chicago. -3F with 30mph wind, with snow. Make them really earn it.

The Decatur Staleys were formed in 1919.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

I hate field turf. I like sloppy fields, which is why games in Pittsburgh are still the best. I recall a dozen years ago a Steeler game in Miami, a monsoon rolled through early in the game and a Punter actually plugged a punt into the grass. None of us, or any pros, grew up in back yards, pop warner, or high school playing on field turf, it just isn't right.

Today there is no frozen tundra, so many of the great weather games just wouldn't have happened without the field getting sloppy.
JWL

Post by JWL »

NWebster wrote:I hate field turf.
I think that is a popular opinion.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Tony Dungy is absolutely not a Hall of Famer and it's a joke that he's in there, despite the W/L record. If anything he underachieved with the Colts and it took Gruden to finish the job in Tampa. Dungy joined Tampa just as the talent he had no hand in acquiring began to gel. Then he parachutes to the Colts and is essentially the assistant coach to Peyton Manning.
I am right there with you. Someone did a good blog entry about this last January:

https://dubsism.com/2016/02/08/with-ton ... rrectness/
Steve Young was a good QB, but benefited greatly from what was already in place in SF. I don't put him among the elites.
Agreed. I believe that Walsh's WCO and his expertise in public relations made guys like him, Montana, Rice, Craig, etc.... out to be better than what they were.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

LJP wrote:The Super Bowl halftime show needs to be replaced by 12 minutes of historical football footage.
They need to have something going on down on the field, and if it has to be musical, I would vote for college or military marching bands.

I would settle for them trotting out the newly elected members to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (who would have been named the day before) along with showing montages of the careers of those who have already passed.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

CSKreager wrote:Here are mine:

Troy Aikman was highly overrated as a QB- I think the 1992 Cowboys would have still gone 13-3 and won the Super Bowl if Steve Beurelein started every game that season

The 1980 Raiders were basically Jim Plunkett and the 1970s geezers hanging on for one more hurrah

The 1978-1979 Steelers were very fortunate IMO to not face New England or San Diego in those AFC-CG's as opposed to one-dimensional Houston
Agree with you about the 1980 Raiders, the 1983 version was better.

The 1992 Cowboys finish 9-7 or 10-6 with Steve Beurelein as QB, and likely lose in the first round of the playoffs. And I don't see Tony Romo winning a SB with those 90s Cowboys, either.

The 1978 Patriots were a talented team, but the '78 Steelers may have been the most talented ever. The Oilers beat New England twice that season in Foxboro, and the Steelers annihilated Houston in the AFC Title Game. Just don't see the Pats coming close.

The 1979 Chargers did beat the Steelers handily in the regular season, but we're talking about a San Diego team which lost to Houston when the Oilers were without Earl Campbell and Dan Pastroni. I don't know where a '79 AFC TG would have been played, but the Chargers weren't the same in cold weather.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

L.C. Greenwood wrote:
CSKreager wrote:Here are mine:

Troy Aikman was highly overrated as a QB- I think the 1992 Cowboys would have still gone 13-3 and won the Super Bowl if Steve Beurelein started every game that season

The 1980 Raiders were basically Jim Plunkett and the 1970s geezers hanging on for one more hurrah

The 1978-1979 Steelers were very fortunate IMO to not face New England or San Diego in those AFC-CG's as opposed to one-dimensional Houston
Agree with you about the 1980 Raiders, the 1983 version was better.

The 1992 Cowboys finish 9-7 or 10-6 with Steve Beurelein as QB, and likely lose in the first round of the playoffs. And I don't see Tony Romo winning a SB with those 90s Cowboys, either.

The 1978 Patriots were a talented team, but the '78 Steelers may have been the most talented ever. The Oilers beat New England twice that season in Foxboro, and the Steelers annihilated Houston in the AFC Title Game. Just don't see the Pats coming close.

The 1979 Chargers did beat the Steelers handily in the regular season, but we're talking about a San Diego team which lost to Houston when the Oilers were without Earl Campbell and Dan Pastroni. I don't know where a '79 AFC TG would have been played, but the Chargers weren't the same in cold weather.
The 1979 Chargers were the #1 seed (Beat Pittsburgh H2H that November), which is what makes their playoff loss much more galling. Also worth noting that Steel Curtain dynasty rarely had to venture outside of Three Rivers, which made it a major blown opportunity.