Milwaukee NFL franchise

74_75_78_79_

Re: Milwaukee NFL franchise

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I never thought late-'70s/early-'80s was the only time the Pack played in Milwaukee but simply don't remember any other Packer game there beyond that time period and never recall it being more than once a season. Or at least remembering a particular game later on but simply not knowing it was there instead of Lambeau (example - when they beat Vikings in '89; just looked that one up, played at County three times I see).
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I've noted before about the oddity of the Browns never playing a regular season game in Green Bay until 2001. Their only game in GB prior to that was the 1965 Mud Bowl.
Moran

Post by Moran »

Championship Game 1939

rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

BD Sullivan wrote:I've noted before about the oddity of the Browns never playing a regular season game in Green Bay until 2001. Their only game in GB prior to that was the 1965 Mud Bowl.
The first game the Browns played against an NFL team was an exhibition game against the Packers, but it was at Toledo. My dad went to the game and was amazed at how the Browns organized an interception return almost as if it were a punt return.
MIKEBENNIDICT

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

How did they end up playing there?
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

MIKEBENNIDICT wrote:How did they end up playing there?
I have no idea why they played in Akron. Even though Akron is less than 50 miles from Cleveland, the Packers were considered the home team.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

rhickok1109 wrote:
MIKEBENNIDICT wrote:How did they end up playing there?
I have no idea why they played in Akron. Even though Akron is less than 50 miles from Cleveland, the Packers were considered the home team.
The Browns trained at Bowling Green, which is a short drive from Toledo.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I never thought late-'70s/early-'80s was the only time the Pack played in Milwaukee but simply don't remember any other Packer game there beyond that time period and never recall it being more than once a season. Or at least remembering a particular game later on but simply not knowing it was there instead of Lambeau (example - when they beat Vikings in '89; just looked that one up, played at County three times I see).
They played three home games every year at Milwaukee County Stadium up until the end of the '94 season.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I never thought late-'70s/early-'80s was the only time the Pack played in Milwaukee but simply don't remember any other Packer game there beyond that time period and never recall it being more than once a season. Or at least remembering a particular game later on but simply not knowing it was there instead of Lambeau (example - when they beat Vikings in '89; just looked that one up, played at County three times I see).
It was probably before your time, but the 1939 championship game between the Packers and Giants was played in Milwaukee.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Just to be nit-picky, State Fair Park was/is located in West Allis not Milwaukee.