Your Unpopular Football Opinions

ChrisBabcock

Re: Your Unpopular Football Opinions

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I'll go ahead and say I think the Patriots current uniforms are the nicest they've had in their franchise history. Which may be an unpopular counter-opinion to your unpopular opinion. :)
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I'll go ahead and say I think the Patriots current uniforms are the nicest they've had in their franchise history. Which may be an unpopular counter-opinion to your unpopular opinion. :)
The unis are nice, but the helmet color and logo is stupid. They should have went back to the Pat Patriot when they got new unis in 2000.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:I'll go ahead and say I think the Patriots current uniforms are the nicest they've had in their franchise history. Which may be an unpopular counter-opinion to your unpopular opinion. :)
The unis are nice, but the helmet color and logo is stupid. They should have went back to the Pat Patriot when they got new unis in 2000.
Had they stayed with the 'Pat Patriot' unis from '93 to this day, I would have better 'tolerated' them these past 15 years. Never liked the current unis even in '93; nothing 'new-and-exciting' about it. Watching a replay of SBXX not long ago, even in getting destroyed they looked good (like Oakland in SBII).
JohnH19 wrote:The 1981 uni change was fine but the current ones are an abomination.
Agree. Being that, for the longest time now, '81 & '88 are the two best years in Bengals history, it makes sense that they keep playing in them unis until they finally win-it-all; and when they finally do so, (unlike '00 Rams) they stay with those unis forever more. As neat as it is seeing them in their 'BENGALS' throwbacks once or twice a year, they were less exciting; did look a bit too similar to Browns.

Same thing applies with the Bucs pre/post-'97. Sherbet 'creamcicle' unis are neat to see during throwback weeks. What always made them special was that there was no color combo like them, but the '97-today have unique colors as well. Like later-day Bengals, I don't like TBs recent unis either. Ridiculous numbering on jerseys, bad color-coordination, and a too-large flag/skull on helmet. The unis they won their SB with are what they should have stayed with ever since.

On the other hand (also 1997-related), as much as I thought they were neat at first, I wish Denver never changed after all. If they must keep their current helmets, I wish they go back to blue as their dark jerseys instead of orange hence the same exact unis they wore in their back-to-back/Elway's-last-two years.

Finally...the Cards should always play their home games in those alternate, as I call them, cola-colored jerseys (and white pants). Love those!
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:
So, you wish Cincy's helmets go back to 'BENGALS' and no tiger stripes around shoulders, huh?
Absolutely. I consider the Bengals in '81 to be the worst uniform change in NFL history. That's why I chose the cutoff date of '80.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Here are two apparently very unpopular football opinions-

the current Jaguars getup (particularly when wearing the white jersey) is my favorite in that team's history

the current Buccaneers uniforms are better than the ones they wore from 1997 to 2013
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
JohnH19 wrote:The 1981 uni change was fine but the current ones are an abomination.
Agree. Being that, for the longest time now, '81 & '88 are the two best years in Bengals history, it makes sense that they keep playing in them unis until they finally win-it-all; and when they finally do so, (unlike '00 Rams) they stay with those unis forever more. As neat as it is seeing them in their 'BENGALS' throwbacks once or twice a year, they were less exciting; did look a bit too similar to Browns.
The 1981-96 and slightly altered 1997-2003 Bengal unis, which I don't have a problem with, are not the same as the version they now wear. They underwent a radical change in 2004. Only the helmet remained the same.
74_75_78_79_ wrote: Finally...the Cards should always play their home games in those alternate, as I call them, cola-colored jerseys (and white pants). Love those!
Nothing says Cardinals like cola colored uniforms, I always say. IMO, their whole set is a mess.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Todd Pence wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:
So, you wish Cincy's helmets go back to 'BENGALS' and no tiger stripes around shoulders, huh?
Absolutely. I consider the Bengals in '81 to be the worst uniform change in NFL history. That's why I chose the cutoff date of '80.
I remember it was a radical change. Something many people forgot is that in 1980 they finally put numbers in their sleeves/shoulders, and that their "BENGALS" helmet IMHO was the worst helmet in the NFL at that time. When they played the Browns it took me a while back then (yes, and also with the stripes in the Cleveland helmet) to figure which team were the Bengals. Their new helmet was interesting (and innovating) in the fact that you never knew how many stripes were (accordingly to the website The Helmet Project it has been the same since '81, but I believe they erased one tiger-stripe the following season or in '83), but the thing I always liked of those uniforms was the number font, nowadays it looks like minor league IMHO.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Yes, it was odd that the AFL and then the NFL didn't instruct the Bengals to add TV numbers to their jerseys for all those years.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

An umpopular opinion of mine: bring back the double-bar facemask for quarterbacks, wide receivers and defensive backs. And the single-bar facemask fopr punters and kickers.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Todd Pence wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:
I actually think that the recent changes that the Bucs and Jags made are the worst.