Your Unpopular Football Opinions

ChrisBabcock

Re: Your Unpopular Football Opinions

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Votes for Super Bowl MVP should not be cast until the END of the game. As in, the clock is at 0:00.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Votes for Super Bowl MVP should not be cast until the END of the game. As in, the clock is at 0:00.
Agreed, and NFL MVP should not be awarded to a player until the Super Bowl is over. Same with the Heismann Trophy in college football not being awarded until after all the bowls are over.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

CSKreager wrote:The NFL should go back to early Saturday start times for the Wild Card and divisional playoffs.
The NFL should go also go back to Saturday daytime games the last couple weeks of the season, including Week 17.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

I wouldn't complain at all if all games were 4:30/8:30 est. That'd take the steam off of Sunday Night Football but who cares, I wanna sleep in. I mean REALLY sleep in.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Then NFL regular season should be 18 games, and the preseason should be two games. Of course, the entire NFLPA doesn't agree with that opinion, but still....
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Then NFL regular season should be 18 games, and the preseason should be two games. Of course, the entire NFLPA doesn't agree with that opinion, but still....
ooh! This one reminds me of another potentially unpopular opinion that I came up with awhile ago. The NFL regular season should increase to seventeen games. Instead of a bye week, each team plays a neutral site game. They still have their 8 home and 8 away. This would solve the "will the NFL ever expand to Europe" question and give a chance for some non-NFL cities to host games. London can have its 3 games a year. Maybe have a game each in 3 other European cities. Berlin? Barcelona? etc. Also certain teams can still have "regional/neutral" site games. The Bills can play a game in Toronto every other year, The Packers in Milwaukee every other year. Some American "college" towns could host games too. Columbus can alternate hosting the Browns and Bengals, the 3 Texas teams could rotate playing at the U of Texas, etc. Of course, the NFL might have to lower the minimum capacity stadium rule to pull this off for some sites. Portland? Maybe the Seahawks play a game once every 2 or 3 years in Vancouver?
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Emmitt's Smith status as the all-time rushing touchdown leader (and most touchdowns ever by a non-QB not named Jerry Rice) deserves just as much pub for him as being the all-time rushing leader.

164 rushing TD's and 175 overall!
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

As much as I respect old school, I prefer the Jets unis from '78 into mid-'80s (Klecko/Gastineau Era) over what they basically went back to in '98. Should have 'retired' those Classic unis one year earlier IMO being that Namath was now a Ram. As for those late-'80s thru '97 alterations (end-of-Walton/Coz/Carroll/Kotite eras), I didn't like at all.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

As much as I respect old school, I prefer the Jets unis from '78 into mid-'80s (Klecko/Gastineau Era) over what they basically went back to in '98.
Agreed!
JWL

Post by JWL »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:As much as I respect old school, I prefer the Jets unis from '78 into mid-'80s (Klecko/Gastineau Era) over what they basically went back to in '98. Should have 'retired' those Classic unis one year earlier IMO being that Namath was now a Ram. As for those late-'80s thru '97 alterations (end-of-Walton/Coz/Carroll/Kotite eras), I didn't like at all.
Go to a Jets forum and you will see most fans on it prefer the current look over the Mark Gastineau uniforms and the 1990-97 ones (black was added as an accent in 1990). There has not been enough outcry for a uniform change.

Solely based upon the fact that most players do not wear sleeves anymore, at this point I would welcome a switch back to the 1978-89 look. The "UCLA" loop that is supposed to exist on the current Jets uniform isn't really much of a loop anymore. Just compare Jets action photos from 1998 with photos from 2015 and you will see how the loop has changed.