Your Unpopular Football Opinions

JohnH19

Re: Your Unpopular Football Opinions

Post by JohnH19 »

Good topic. I agree with almost everything posted so far, especially the "bring back tie games" movement. OT in the regular season is completely unnecessary. I used to love seeing the variety in the standings with teams having records like 9-4-1, 3-8-3, 7-5-2, etc..

Nobody can tell me that a team, especially an underdog, that fights back from 21 points down to tie a game isn't at least somewhat satisfied with the result. There was nothing boring about watching 43 year old George Blanda kick a last play 48 yard FG to tie KC 17-17 during his incredible five game streak in 1970. Tie games can be every bit as exciting as games with a winner.

The Baltimore Ravens should be called the Colts. Is that an unpopular opinion?
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I've said this numerous times before - have each conference return to three-division format (6-5-5). Six playoff teams may still qualify. Yes, a Royal pain for the schedule-maker but it would greatly reduce the amount of 9-7/8-8 division-winners and even-more-so minimalizing we having to see these very teams host 11, 12-win teams in the 1st-round.

Wish baseball would go back to two-divisions-per (4 playoff teams each).
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I've said this numerous times before - have each conference return to three-division format (6-5-5). Six playoff teams may still qualify. Yes, a Royal pain for the schedule-maker but it would greatly reduce the amount of 9-7/8-8 division-winners as well as eliminating altogether us ever again having to see these very teams host 11, 12-win teams in the 1st-round.
I actually do like the 4 divisions of 4 per conference. What I'd do about 8-8 division winners (I think 9-7 is fine) is that to make the playoffs you have to win your division AND have a winning record. If you don't have a winning record you get replaced by a 3rd WC team. (IF there is one available with a winning record) ...and then all the seedings move up one spot. 1st WC gets 4 seed, etc.

This would have made for a more exciting finish to the lame division races in the AFC south and NFC west last year. Teams would have been trying to win their division AND climb above .500

I REALLY hope they never switch to the better record hosts a playoff game regardless of seeding like people have been talking about. A team should be rewarded for winning their division with a home playoff game.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Not to do with pro football but I'm not a fan of the college football playoff system, and even opposed the idea in the years most other fans were clamoring for it. Things were better off in the BCS era, flawed as that was. A playoff system was supposed to eliminate controversy, and all the current one does has compound it.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Here are the number of ties from 1960-73:

1960: 6--5 NFL, 1 AFL
1961: 4--3 NFL, 1 AFL
1962: 5--4 NFL, 1 AFL
1963: 8--5 NFL, 3 AFL
1964: 9--6 NFL, 3 AFL
1965: 7--2 NFL, 5 AFL
1966: 9 (5 NFL, 4 AFL)
1967: 11 (9 NFL, 2 AFL)
1968: 5 (4 NFL, 1 AFL)
1969: 7 (4 NFL, 3 AFL)
1970: 9
1971: 8
1972: 5
1973: 7

Given Art Modell's supposed influence in NFL circles, I'm wondering if the Browns' two ties in 1973 resulted in him pushing for the change because of some supposed. Others claimed that the NFL was trying to keep up with the then-new WFL that was a few months away from getting started.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

Preseason games need to end. They serve little to no purpose. Only thing that matters are injuries.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

MatthewToy wrote:Preseason games need to end. They serve little to no purpose. Only thing that matters are injuries.
$omehow, I ju$t can't $ee owner$ doing $omething like that. :D
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

1. The 1987 Redskins were better than the 91 Redskins, especially on defense.

2. Jerry Rice is not only not the best player ever, he's not the best WR, either. He is somewhat a product of a short passing system and a more pass-friendly era. You can't just say he's the best when other greats like Warfield, Hutson, etc... didn't have the benefit of playing in that type of an offense.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

The NFL Shield that Roger Goodell selected to replace the former NFL Shield looks like a kiddie cartoon logo. It's embarrassing.
Joe Zagorski
JWL

Post by JWL »

I am not amazed by most of the spectacular catches we see these days.