Julius Adams #85

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Re: 2016 Obituaries
by Teo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:11 pm

BD Sullivan wrote:
Another Patriot, Julius Adams, has died:
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-pat ... asses-away

"He was the last defensive lineman who wore a number in the 80s. (85)."

Marvelous, Teo! There, indeed, is a legitimate bit of trivia to note.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Gary Najman

Re: Julius Adams #85

Post by Gary Najman »

Interestingly, in Pro Football Reference it is written that he wore #69 when he came back from retirement in 1987. I'm 100% certain that he continued to wear #85, although he may have started with #69.
JohnTurney

He did wear #69 at first, then switched to #85

Post by JohnTurney »

Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I wish the obituaries section were still part of the football talk section like it used to be. I find I don't go to the obituaries section as often since it now has it's own section.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

Teo wrote:Interestingly, in Pro Football Reference it is written that he wore #69 when he came back from retirement in 1987. I'm 100% certain that he continued to wear #85, although he may have started with #69.

Nice.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Teo wrote:Interestingly, in Pro Football Reference it is written that he wore #69 when he came back from retirement in 1987. I'm 100% certain that he continued to wear #85, although he may have started with #69.
I just looked at Pro Football Reference and they have him as wearing #69 in his rookie season, 1971. He did wear #69 a few games in 1987, but he wore #85 in College All-Star game and every photo I have seen from 1971 has him wearing #85. I wonder where they got that info that he wore #69. He wore #85 in game 1, I don't know about preseason, but I think he never wore #69 until 1987 in those few games
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

FWIW, a pair of TE's were the 1987 scabs who wore #85 for the Pats. Mike Siragusa from Ohio U., who had been cut by the Pats during that year's training camp, was there for the first scab game before having his number changed to #44. Todd Frain, out of Nebraska replaced him. Once the players and owners settled their differences, Siragusa was released, but Frain was there for the final scab game.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

So much conjecture by people who know so little...

Teo, you are on the mark.
Nick Buoniconti wore #85 for the Patriots for 8 years. He was traded to Miami for 1969.
Buoniconti was very, very popular with Boston fans.
The equipment manager was hesitant about issuing #85 to a new player - especially a black player
as there was great racial tension at the time.

The Boston busing issue exploded in 1974 and made national headlines.
Major media might not have yet reached the more backward areas of the Nation.

Number 69 may have been temporarily assigned to Julius Adams but #85 was issued.
---
Edited to add:
Photograph at City Hall Plaza, Boston MA
The Soiling of Old Glory taken by Stanley Forman while working for The Boston Herald American on April 5, 1976
Attachments
chp.jpg
chp.jpg (94.63 KiB) Viewed 13670 times
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JohnTurney wrote:
I just looked at Pro Football Reference and they have him as wearing #69 in his rookie season, 1971. He did wear #69 a few games in 1987, but he wore #85 in College All-Star game and every photo I have seen from 1971 has him wearing #85. I wonder where they got that info that he wore #69. He wore #85 in game 1, I don't know about preseason, but I think he never wore #69 until 1987 in those few games
Couldn't find a roster for the preseason opener in Minnesota, but for the opening game at then-Schaefer Stadium the following week, he's listed as wearing #85. As you noted, he wore #85 for the College ASG, so it seems fairly obvious that in the game against the Vikes, he was also wearing the same number.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Couldn't find a roster for the preseason opener in Minnesota, but for the opening game at then-Schaefer Stadium the following week, he's listed as wearing #85. As you noted, he wore #85 for the College ASG, so it seems fairly obvious that in the game against the Vikes, he was also wearing the same number.
Makes sense. I'd never seen the preseason rosters, but I know Adams wore 85 in the regular season opener vs Raiders. Bottom line is he didn't wear #69 that season. I'd suggest someone contact PFR and see if they will correct it, but I have had a tough time getting them to even respond.