Re: Football Films (List)

Post by Reaser »

JohnR wrote:Can't overlook the excellent doc "Harvard Beats Yale, 29-29"
Definitely an excellent doc.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Pigskin Parade was a very funny movie.

Horsefeathers was one of the better Marx Brothers movies with the usual shenanigans like Groucho playing for both teams, and Groucho teaching a class with Harpo and Chico as a couple of his students. Groucho says something about viaducts and then Chico keeps asking, "Why a duck?"
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Besides "Three little pigskins," there's a second Three Stooges short that features an extended football sequence. Towards the end of "No census, no feeling," the trio sneak into a football stadium and don football uniforms in an attempt to get census information from the players. The film ends with Curley running to the stadium exit pulling an ice cream wagon, while Moe throws handfuls of ice cream at the hotly pursuing players and referees.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Saban wrote:Pigskin Parade was a very funny movie.

Horsefeathers was one of the better Marx Brothers movies with the usual shenanigans like Groucho playing for both teams, and Groucho teaching a class with Harpo and Chico as a couple of his students. Groucho says something about viaducts and then Chico keeps asking, "Why a duck?"
Actually the "Why a duck?" line is from the Marx Brothers' first movie, "Cocoanuts."

My favorite dialogue from Horsefeathers has Groucho, as the college president, telling the faculty that he's going to tear down the dormitories to build a football stadium.

One professor asks, "But where will the students sleep?"

Groucho replies, "Where they've always slept ... in class."
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

rhickok1109 wrote:
Saban wrote:Pigskin Parade was a very funny movie.

Actually the "Why a duck?" line is from the Marx Brothers' first movie, "Cocoanuts."

My favorite dialogue from Horsefeathers has Groucho, as the college president, telling the faculty that he's going to tear down the dormitories to build a football stadium.

One professor asks, "But where will the students sleep?"

Groucho replies, "Where they've always slept ... in class."

That's funny.

You are probably right about "Why a duck." I haven't seen those movies for awhile, so I probably got it wrong.

I always liked those Marx Brothers movies.

I like the part in "Pigskin Parade" where the coach is trying to figure out where he can find someone with a good arm, and as he is pondering this, Stu Erwin is throwing melons about a hundred yards into a basket, and hitting his target every time. The "coach" is still stumped until his wife suggests getting Erwin on the team.
single wing

Post by single wing »

No census No feeling was a 2nd stooge short with football action in it. In this case it was filmed at the los angeles memorial coliseum however unlike 3 little pigskins the football players in this film were actors not a college football team
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

List has been edited to include some recent contributions.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Thanks OCC and everyone who's contributed. Not many but a few I hadn't heard of before.
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »